Will Restalyne Correct my Under Eyes? Not Sure if These Are Tear Troughs? (photo)

I have had these for a long while, which sucks because I'm fairly young (24)... and I no matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of them and they make me look tired! Will restylane help correct this? Please! Thanks!

Will Restylane Correct my Under Eyes? Not Sure if These Are Tear Troughs?

+1

Restylane to the tear troughs will help with a volume deficiency, but it will not help with the pigmentation.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA     

Restylane and Tear Troughs

+1

Restylane as well as the other hyaluronic acid fillers may be used to improve hollowing under the eyelids - tear troughs. 

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Restylane under eyes

+1

Definitely Restylane will improve the hollows. As to pigmentation, that's another issue. but it does appear you have a volume deficiency that would respond easily to Restylane.

At your age you may be one of many young people who don't pay particular attention to the amount of sleep you get, but lack of sleep will obviously make you look tired.

Taking good care yourself is as important as fixing an appearance problem. So I hope you are doing that already.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers for Tear Troughs

+1

Yes, Restylane would be a good solution to temporarily smooth out your tear troughs. When injected properly, Restylane will tighten the skin and add firmness to revitalize the area below the eyes and get rid of that tired look. Restylane may cause a bruise like effect called tyndall’s effect. Radiesse on the other hand would not. The video shows an example.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and tear troughs

+1

From the photo's you've posted, you are referring to "tear troughs" but without seeing you in person to determine actual volume loss versus hyperpigmentation, it's difficult to tell how much correction you'd see with a dermal filler. Consulting with a well-trained and experienced injector will give you options.

Sam Naficy, MD

Tear troughs

+1

Yes these are tear troughs.  Tear troughs are the hollow areas beneath the area of lower eyelid fullness/fat.  You do have a slight protrusion of the lower eyelid as well.  You can see tear troughs in people even as young as you.  Restylane can be used to fill in the hollow area.  I suggest you see a specialist in your area for consultation.  (This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.)

Mireille Chae, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Improving Tear Troughs

+1

The tear troughs you are referring to are common, even amongst people in their 20s.  Restylane can be used under the eyes to address the tear troughs and create a smoother surface and refreshed appearance if done by a specialist.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Tear troughs

+1

Your deep tear troughs can be treated with fillers or fat transfer.  As well, there are some radio frequency treatments out there that can make small changes to this area by increasing the collagen in the skin.  This creates thicker skin and the vessels appear less visible under the skin.  This means the coulour you see will be decreased.  The softening created by radio frequency treatments can sometimes be enough for the patient.  In the case that you want a more dramatic difference then you should seek filler or fat transfer to the area.  Only a qualified cosmetic plastic surgeon or dermatologist should be injecting an area as delicate as the eyes and certainly only a qualified cosmetic plastic surgeon should perform fat transfers.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Lower eyelid bags versus tear trough (dark circles)

+1

You have lower eyelid hollows underneath your lower eyelid fullness (fat). This hollow area is termed tear troughs.  It can be hereditary and/or worsen with age. The treatment depends on exactly how much fullness (fat) relative to hollowness (dark circle or tear trough) the person has. If it is more fullness than hollowness, then lower blepharoplasty is the best option. If is more hollowness than fullness, then filler injection is the better answer. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Genetic Tear Trough

+1

When young people have deep tear-trough area it is a problem with skeletal deficiency.  While this can be partially corrected with "dermal" fillers, it will be temporary.  I put dermal in quotations, because you would never put the filler into the dermis (skin) in the lower eyelids, it always is placed deeply in this area since the skin itself is far too thin and delicate to accommodate fillers.  Fillers in this area should include only the hyaluronic acids (Restylane, Juverderm, etc) since others may be visible and can't be easily corrected if there are problems.   These fillers when used in this part of the face generally last 4 to 6 months. 

Skeletal deficiencies such as this are very well treated using a tear trough implant.  The implant itself sits directly on the bone and once healed behaves as though it were bone.  This is the same concept as a cheek or chin implant.  The implant is placed from the backside of the eyelid so there will be no scars in the skin.  The implants provide for far more filling affect than any soft tissue filler can, they are permanent (but removable) and can still accommodate soft tissue fillers on top of them if so desired.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon