Restylane for Cellulite?

Have you used Restylane for cellulite? How were the results?

Restylane is not a good treatment for cellulite

+2

Celluite is like a mattress surface. The indentations are being pulled down by bands of connective tissue. This area corresponding to the infrastructure of the "mattress button" can't be simply pushed up by filling the area underneath. In fact, the filler may spread to the area encircling these vertical bands and lift the "shoulder" of the skin around the indentation making it appear more of a depression. Subcision can be done where the bands are cut by a small needle and then the filler is injected. This is a very costly treatment and not without risk, and may not provide long term improvement. Bruising can last for a few weeks.

Restylane for Cellulite

+2

There are not many treatments for cellulite and those that claim to improve cellulite really make little if any difference.  Theoretically injecting Restylane or any dermal filler under any indentation may help smooth it out a bit temporarily.  However, the amount of Restylane that would be necessary would likely make it cost prohibitive for a minimal effect.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Injectable Fillers Not A Treatment For Cellulite

+1

A truly adequate treatment for cellulite remains elusive. Injectable fillers of any composition are not a solution either. Even if it could make the skin appearance better, the volume of filler and its cost would make it impractical.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

There are better treatments for cellulite

+1

Cellulite is difficult to treat because it occurs on a large area of the body and it involves a network of fibrous bands that aren't effectively or evenly holding back fat under the skin.  This leads to a 3-dimensional pattern like a mattress.  The treatments that have been used to treat cellulite that I have personally seen results on are Thermage and Velashape.  The former actually works to variable degrees depending on the tip and the energy used, as well as the skill of the person performing the procedure.  With the proper treatment of both devices, a modest and sometimes very good result can be accomplished.  Thermage is relatively uncomfortable in that area, is expensive and takes time to see the results, but I have seen very good results with only one treatment.  Velashape isn't painful and is less expensive initially (6 treamtents over 6 weeks is our protocol) but then you need to maintain it every month to every other month indefinitely so it adds up.  I think that Restylane, which is a great filler in the appropriate areas, would have absolutely no benefit for cellulite.  1 syringe of restylane is 1/5 of a teaspoon, so you can imagine that this would be impractical.  There are other devices which I have not personally used that are reported to be effective, such as Smoothshapes and Triactive.  There are reports of subcision (surgically interrupting the fribrous bands) being effective and some people also think that laser lipolysis might be effective.

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Not Likely to Work

+1
Cellulite exists due to fibrous bands that pull down the overlying tissue leading to swiss cheese appearance. Unfortunaly, its not caused by a hole that can just be filled. Treatment modalities, although not as great, mainly target the subcutaneous tissue to either release those bands or tighten the tissue surrounding them so that the depression is smoothened. Restylane will not work and so will its thicker cousin, Macrolane.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Not proven and certainly not cost effective

+1

Using fillers for cellulite is not a good idea at this time. I have seen very nice results from Smoothshapes, but the treatments must be repeated every few months to maintain the results.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Cellulite treatment

+1

There are no treatments that work for cellulite at this time.  Despite what some marketers will tell you, creams dont work and lasers dont work.  The problem is with deeper fibrous tissue bands coming to the skin. Fillers would be an expensive and likely not very rewarding product to use for this problem... Liposuction may help by breaking up the bands but that is all that can work at this time.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Love the idea.

+1

Yes, in fact this might work.  However, each cellulite dimple might take a syringe or more of Restyalne to fill.  This would be a very expensive proposition!  Like I say to my patients:  These new fillers can do almost anything you can think of and do it better than surgery.

Cellulite and restylane

+1

Unfortunately there are no great treatments of cellulite at this time. Restylane is not a good choice for cellulite treatment.