How Much Rest Do I Need After a Tummy Tuck?

only 12 days after my op and i have been told to rest plenty but unsure what plenty means

Talk to your doctor

+1

Questions like this really need to be discussed with your surgeon. He or she knows your case so he or she would be able to give the best advice. 

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Rest post TT

+1

The best advice I can give you is to use common sense.  Don't run a marathon or engage in a sit-up competition.  If you feel tired, take a nap.  You shouldn't lift anything heavier than 10lbs.  

You should still get up and walk around.  Don't stay in bed or in a chair all day - you don't want to get a DVT/clot.  

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Rest after TT

+1

Rest means taking an afternoon nap when tired not working more than eight hours a day. Walking no running or jogging for the first 3 weeks. No Sit up no heavy lifting more than 15 to 20 lbs. Good luck with the recovery

Your activity level after tummy tuck depends on exactly what was done by your surgeon

+1

Your activity level after a tummy tuck will vary depending on whether we repair your muscles or not.  “Diastasis Recti” or separation of the rectus muscles occurs in almost all women who have carried a child to term, so almost all of our tummy tucks involve repairing this separation.  This is similar to a hernia repair and the post-op instructions are therefore similar – no heavy lifting (not more than a gallon of milk, or about five pounds) for six weeks.  It is also very common to tire easily as your body is repairing and healing a large area, so don’t be too hard on yourself if your progress back to normal activity is a little slower than you had hoped.

Instructions after Abdominoplasty

+1

After having an Abdominoplasty we recommend no heavy lifting for up to three months.  Most people take off from a sitting job for two weeks and can resume light activities .  Taking it easy means no lifting climbing etc.. Good luck

West Orange Plastic Surgeon

How much rest after a tummy tuck?

+1

You should be walking immediately, but not excessively. This is to decrease the risk of developing a blood clot. I advise patients not to exercise for at least six weeks- similar to a woman that has had a C-section. It is most appropriate to have your activity questions addressed by your surgeon. He/She will be grateful that you are trying to be compliant and taking your recovery seriously.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Schedule for increasing activity level after tummy tuck

+1

Most tummy tucks (abdominoplasty) involve repairing separated muscles, which have been pushed apart from prior pregnancy. Although this is not a true hernia, the recovery process is similar, and it typically takes about 6 weeks for it to heal strongly enough to support vigorous exercise. However, it is also helpful to increase normal daily activities such as walking especially beginning the second week. The main thing to be careful about is lifting abything heavy or straining the abdominal muscles.

No more than 10 days and no less 8/ abdominoplastia requiere entre 8 y 10 dias de cuidado

+1

TT because muscles are taken to tight the under skin belly  should stay in quiet position the first 3 days you might walk and be sitted, but any extra streght it should be avoided, even to sleep in an alternative lateral position avoiding to sleep completelly upper normal position for 8 week.

la abdominoplastia no es dolorosa, pero se tiene que guardar reposo por al menos de 8 a 10 dias pplmte. acostada de lado en forma alterna, puede caminar y puede estar sentada todo el  tiepo que desee, lo que no se permite son esfuerzos y dormir  boca  arriba

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+1

Eight hours sleep, no heavy activity, but check the specifics with your own surgeon. Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.