Why so much resistance to 'overs'? The right choice for 53 year old? (photos)

I am 53 and want breasts that are fuller but still realistic for age/frame. I am 5'10, 185# and fine with that. Overs would give me a small lift and the upper pole volume I no longer have. I don't need a long term solution, just want 5 years of pleasant results before having to have lift revised from twenty years ago.

Breast Implant Position

+1
The advantages of implants under the muscle include less risk of capsular contracture, less palpability of implant, and an implant further away from the breast tissue (and potentially interfering less with mammograms).  In your case, a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help determine what is best for you.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

#Why plastic surgeons preferred breast implants under the muscle and not over the muscle

+1
Thank you for your question and photographs.  Plastic surgeons prefer implants placed under the muscle because there is less chance of capsular contracture hardening, mammograms are easier to read, there is extra coverage of the breast implant to hide it, and less chance of stretching and pressure on the breast skin.

That said there are many situations in which a breast implant is preferably placed beneath the breast and over the muscle.  From your photographs it appears that you would benefit from a lift and a sub-muscular augmentation.  However if you choose only to have breast implants placed over the muscle by all means to make certain that they are textured breast implants which decreases the chance of capsular contraction.

Be sure to consult plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experience in breast surgery, and was next reputation community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Overs

+1
I assume you mean an implant on top of the muscle. The draw backs are interference with mammograms and increased risk of capsular contracture, which is scar formation that can leave the breast hard and misshapen. The benefit is less recovery and an increased lifting effect on the breast. I would sit down and discuss this with an experienced plastic surgeon who can best advise you.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

BBA

+1
You need to be examined in person to determine the best option for you.  Implants alone will likely lead to a ball-in-sock result within a year.  See a BC PS in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast Augment

+1
Thank you for your question. Implants under the muscle make mammograms much easier to read. It is best to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to ensure you achieve the results you are looking for.

Dr. Rodgers

Christine Rodgers, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Resistance...

+1
As with any procedure we do, given the proper patient, all operations can yield great results. The limiting factors for overs are the tendency for the implant to pull against weak skin and breast tissue to cause droop over time and, in some patients, the unnatural upper pole fullness that can result. Increased risk of capsular contracture and poor mammograms are also reasons frequently cited. I would listen to your reasons for not wanting unders and together, make a plan that will give you the best possible result.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon