Residual Edema Vs Scar Tissue? How Do I Know When It's The Final Result? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty 9 months ago and the tip is still VERY bulbous, asymmetrical, and hard. There has also been very little to no progress since the cast was removed. If anything it looks more wide. How do I know whether this is residual edema or scar tissue? How can I distinguish between the two?

Persistent Edema vs Scarring Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after a rhinoplasty can persist for 12-18 months depending on what was done at the time of the operation, especially in patients like you with thick skin. Firmness usually indicates that swelling is still present. Serial photographs during the healing process will help you monitor your progress and improvement to determine when healing is basically complete.

Residual Edema Vs Scar Tissue? How Do I Know When It's The Final Result?

+1

Thanks for the posted photo. An additional issue could be a poorly done tip plasty. I doubt it is residual edema or scar tissue. Revision of the tip is indicated. Follow up would be nice. 

+1

This is an excellent question and pone of the most frequently asked regarding Rhinoplasty.  IMHO, residual swelling occurs as long as the shape of the nose changes throughout the day.  Once that stops, the results have been achieved.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Edema vs scar tissue

+1

It can take over a year for residual edema to resolve.   You should wait before making final judgement.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year.

+1

Wait at least 3 more months. If at that time your tip is still hard see your surgeon or get a second opinion.