Can Resident Interns Perform Juverderm Injections at a RN's Presence?

I had an appointment with a registered nurse at a medical spa. But while I was there, there was a physician in training or some sort, who was observing the injection process. Half way through the injection, the RN casually asked the guy to take over the injection. It was really really excruciatingly painful. I left the clinic with bruises and a lump that wouldn't go away until today. Are interns legally allowed to perform injections at the presence of a RN, and without the patient's consent?

Can resident interns inject Juvederm

+3

Yes, legally, they can, as they are operating under the licensure of the person they are training with, as well as some coverage of their own. However, the way this went down is completely unacceptable, and I would not advise you to return. You are not a practice dummy, nor should you be treated like one without explicit consent.

Can Residents Perform Injections?

+3

Hi Tiarany.  Yes, any physician, registered nurse, nurse practitioner or physicians assistant can perform the injections.  It does not seem to make a lot of sense to me that the nurse would have handed the reins to someone inexperienced without your consent though, especially for a paid procedure.  Sounds like a good reason to find a new injector.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Intern injection

+2

Interns are MDs but early in their course of post graduate practice/training. You should be comfortable and aware of whomever it is that injects you. I'm sorry you had a negative experience and would recommend another facility in the future. Best of luck!

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Can Residents Perform Juvederm Injections under RN supervision?

+2

The Resident is a physician, and as a physician, they are theoretically allowed to perform injections. However, it seems as though you were not told that someone other than your injector was going to do the procedure. It is unconscionable that you were not informed of this prior to having the injection. I would move on, and have a board-certified physician (like the ones you see on Realself) do your future injections.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Resident injecting under RN's presence

+2

There are many opinions on who should inject fillers, Botox etc. I know that if I or my mother were to receive Botox or filler injections, or any other skin treatments for that matter, I would demand that a board-certified dermatologist do all the treatments, not a delegate, not a trainee, etc. It is your call whether you feel comfortable with this person, and it doesn't matter if its legal or not (in this case it sounds quite dubious), its just about common sense. Buyer beware - caveat emptor.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Injectors

+1

I recommend you researching your injector, or asking for their training credentials. An intern is a doctor, but likely early in their training with injectables, especially if they were coached by another provider. You have the right to ask and to reject treatment if you are uncomfortable. Best of luck