Can One Reshape Cartilage Simply by Squeezing It One Month Post Rhinoplasty?

1 month after my open rhinoplasty to very slightly shorten and very slightly lift the tip of my nose I couldn't stop myself from gently squeezing out the blackheads on the tip; have I hurt the final result of my rhinoplasty?How can that be determined?No cartilage transplant was performed during my rhinoplasty. After rhinoplasty,can one reshape cartilage simply by squeezing it or is the reason for avoiding squeezing that one can cause other type of damage? Thank you very much for taking your time

Squeezing Nasal Tip 1 Month Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Unless you squeezed the tip very hard, you probably did no harm but this would depend on what was done at the time of your surgery. Your surgeon would be the best person to answer your question because he/she knows exactly what was done and what your tip looked like at the end of the operation. I have never instructed a patient to squeeze the tip to reshape the cartilage after a rhinoplasty.

Reshaping nose with squeezing

+1

It is not a good idea to squeeze your nasal tip during the early post-op period. You may impact the cartilage healing especially if sutures were placed to help with contouring.

+1

No, in fact squeezing the tip cartilages at 1 month post Rhinoplasty could cause internal sutures to break allowing the tip to become very mis-shapen and asymmetric over the following months and years.  Not a good idea, IMHO.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Rhinoplasty results are stable after four weeks

+1

It is unlikely that you would be able to change the shape of the tip cartilages by squeezing the tissue four weeks after your rhinoplasty. By this point, the tissue is firmly healed and will resist what you do to it.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.