Simplicity Lift Vs. Traditional Neck Lift

I am researching options for revitalizing my neck. My neck is quite crepey but I don't have jowls (yet). I am 58 years old and petite. I have been recently reading about the "simplicity lift" and would like to know if the results are comparable to a traditional neck lift.

Thanks, Karen Tampa, FL

Choose a Neck Lift Not A Marketing Term

+4

Be very cautious about fancy appealing names used to describe a Plastic Surgery Procedure.

See a Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

A Neck Lift typically involves incisions under the chin and behind the ear. Any less will not correct a sagging neck with bands.

The different forms of a necklift

+4

Too much skin under the neck - aside from removing the skin from directly under the neck (good for men, not so great for woman), the skin should be pulled behind tthe ears - an extended neck lift. Too much fat under the neck - liposuction or direct fat excision will do the trick - by itself or in addition to some other neck procedure. Turkey Gobblers or neck bands - a platysmaplasty tightens the muscles under the neck through a small incision under the chin. Will also improves minimal amounts of skin under the neck!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Regardless of the type of necklift, the crepey (thin) skin on the neck doesn't change with surgery

+3

Trademarked Lift vs. Traditional Necklift

All the other surgeons make excellent points regarding the comparison of a traditional necklift versus a name branded facelift or mini-facelift.

In general, the less work that is performed under the skin on the deeper fatty and muscle tissues "the SMAS" the less strength the lift can support over time. If too much skin is removed with too little support, then poor scarring can occur.

Mini-lifts can still have nice incisions and scars, but the surgeon needs to be very conservative with the skin removal, in order to prevent poor scarring. Yet at the same time the results from the mini-lift will also be "mini" after the "Honeymoon swelling" goes away after the first 3-6 months after surgery.

Crepey Neck skin ... Tough problem

The additional point that I wanted to make was in regards to your "crepey skin" comment, because I think the before and after photos of our face and necklift patients don't show the whole picture.

Crepey skin, for those of you who are reading along, is very thin tissue paper like skin, which tends to crinkle when pinched, and usually has significant sun damage to go along with it. This type of skin does not look young. The elasticity is significantly decreased, and non-surgical skin tightening procedures rarely "tighten" the skin enough to smooth out the crepiness.

Lasers, light based treatments and chemical peels have limited improvement for crepiness, and does not treat excess fat or muscle bands. Lasers and chemical peels can be performed more aggressively on the face than the neck, since the skin on the face is thicker and can tolerate higher laser settings or more concentrated chemical peels.

Plastic surgery can stretch the crepey skin over a wider area by excising or removing the extra skin. It is like restretching the leather over the top of a drum that has become loosened. By stretching the crepey skin this produces some "tension" which makes the skin appear more elastic. Over the subsequent months to years, the skin elasticity continues to decrease, and much of the crepiness will return. I think a conservative estimate is the first 6 months after face and necklifts, the neck skin will look and appear younger, but with additional time the crepiness will return.
Another observation which is not visible on the Before and After photos is when the patient lowers their chin or squeezes their decolletage area together, even a nice before and after result will reveal the crepiness of the neck skin and decolletage skin. The reason for this is that the skin is not fully stretched over the neck and chest, when the person is flexing their neck down, and their shoulders together.

Illusion of youth

I believe that these facial rejuvenations procedures are good at producing a result that makes the person appear younger by repositioning the skin, fat and muscle. But the key point is that the skin, fat, and muscle doesn't actually become younger.  Certain positioning of the face and neck will reveal the "smoke and mirrors" but for most normal positions the results look very good.  In general, most patients with realistic expectations are happy with the improvement, but for those patients who expect to be miraculously transformed back to their younger selves may be disappointed.

I hope that makes some sense. I think realistic expectations prior to these types of surgeries results in more satisfied patients.

Dr. Yang 

George Yang, MD

Its not about the name, but how to get the results.

+3

As the other surgeons from various parts of the country have mentioned, this catchy name isn't even recognized as a procedure. Experienced surgeons are familiar with names based on anatomic layers or details of the techniques used. "Simplicity" sounds like it is designed to appeal to the public, not communicate with professionals.

Your potential surgeon should discuss how the components of your neck, and it's unsatisfactory appearance, will be handled. Lax skin, excessive fat, lax or redundant muscle bands need to be effectively treated. Minor variations on well-established neck-lift techniques, discussed here by other surgeons, are what you need to hear about. Regardless of the name, its how well your surgeon does your operation that matters. Be sure that your research includes in-person consultations with some widely recommended plastic surgeons. Best luck in your search.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Avoid gimmick names for surgery.

+3

See a good surgeon who does various types of facelifts and who can tailor the operation to your needs. As others have said, if it sounds too good with a catchy name...........etc.

Neck Lift Options

+2

Most catchy worded procedures are performed by physicians who are not board certified plastic surgeons who rely on marketing to bring patients to their offices. A neck lift through either an incision under your chin or behind your ear in which the neck muscles are tightened and the excess skin and fat are removed will ultimately provide you with the result you are looking for. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

A traditional necklift will give better and longer lasting results.

+2

Unfortunately, advertising for plastic surgery has taken a wrong turn somewhere. A quick browse of the internet can turn up a long list of "new" procedures (such as a simplicity lift) that cannot even be found in a textbook. Generally, these lifts are a form of a mini facelift, a procedure that has been around for 30 years. However, now with far reaching advertising such as TV, radio, print, and internet, it is easy to reach people and describe a "revolutionary new procedure" that is 1 hour in length, performed under local anesthesia, has incredible results, and only 2 days downtime. Sound perfect, right? These minifacelifts are really only good for a patient with minimal jowling so they should not be applied to everyone, and usually do not have a good long term result on the neck. A traditional necklift will have a nice, long lasting result that you will be happy with if performed by a qualified surgeon. Good luck.

Dr. Miller

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stick to the gold standard neck lift

+2

Karen,

I have not heard of the "simplicity lift" either, but it is likely a modification of the traditional neck lift with a brand name added to it. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. It is my advice to stick to the gold standard neck lift. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Avoid any operation with a brand name or a catchy title.

+2

To karenforer,

Hi! I have never heard of a "simplicity lift", but I would avoid a surgeon who offered it to you. I am sure it is a gimmick. A normal neck lift is quite simple. It is done through a short incision under your chin under local anesthesia with sedation, and you typically look fine in one week. It sounds like you are a good candidate for this procedure.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Simplicity Lift

+1

The Simplicity Lift is not an official or universally recognized facial procedure, but is probably a marketing term for what most would consider a mini-lift.  In the right patient, the minilift can produce results that are similar to those that are achieved with a traditional lift.  In my practice, the minilift does a better job at addressing the jowls and very upper part of the neck.  If the fullness extends down into the middle portion of the neck, a full lift would be necessary.  While an in office consultation is usually required to decide if you are a candidate for the full or the mini- facelift, I would be happy to do an internet consult.  Contact my office for details. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon