Thyroid Disease After Saline Implant Leaks - Any Scientific Research?

I got saline implants in 2004. I had a baby in January 2008. While breastfeeding, I developed mastitis. By the 7th month, my milk spontaneously dried up and I developed Thyroid disease. I had a complete Thyroidectomy in January 2010. Since then, I am still suffering some of the symptoms, but blood results come back "normal". Incidentally, for 16 months prior to and at time of discovery of 4 large solid cysts on thyroid, blood tests were also returning "normal".

Thyroid disease is not likely related to breast implants

+1

Despite isolated cases and numerous claims, large studies have not established any link between autoimmune disesase and breast implants.

There is NO correlation between Breast Implants and Thyroid Disease

+1

Regarding: "Thyroid Disease After Saline Implant Leaks - Any Scientific Research?
I got saline implants in 2004. I had a baby in January 2008. While breastfeeding, I developed mastitis. By the 7th month, my milk spontaneously dried up and I developed Thyroid disease. I had a complete Thyroidectomy in January 2010. Since then, I am still suffering some of the symptoms, but blood results come back "normal". Incidentally, for 16 months prior to and at time of discovery of 4 large solid cysts on thyroid, blood tests were also returning "normal
"."

I am truly sorry to hear what you have gone through but there is NO scientific evidence that links breast implants with thyroid disease. Had there been even a small correlation between breast implants and thyroid disease, with million of women in the US and many more millions abroad having breast implants, such a correlation would have come out many years ago. No other man made device has undergone as much scrutiny and study as breast implants; Not heart valves, not pacemakers, not artificial joints. None.

Except for self-serving "literature" from plaintiff lawyers and some misguided feminist sources, the vast majority of the Western scientific world, including the US, has concluded with multiple large studies that breast implants are safe and are NOT associated with autoimmune diseases, cancers or diseases of babies carried by women with implants.

From your description it sounds like they suspected you had a thyroid malignancy ("cold" nodules) forcing its removal. I hope all the lymph nodes were negative and that you are doing well.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Thyroid Disease and Saline Breast Implants

+1

Thanks for the questions....very interesting story. I am a little confused with the title, "Thyroid Disease After Saline Implant Leaks - Any Scientific Research?" with respect to your question's content, has one or both of your implants leaked? Have you experienced a deflation? If you have, the saline that most likely was used to inflate the implant has been absorbed into your system and since 70% of your body is salt water, it has most likely circulated and been flushed out through your kidneys, sweat, etc.

I have researched the Plastic Surgery literature and do not see any scientifically "significant" data that points to saline implants, their shells which are silicone, nor the saline used, nor the surgery itself that points specifically to them as the cause of your thyroid symptoms.

Also, Overactive or underactive thyroid function is more common in women and can occur during pregnancy, after pregnancy (often resulting in post partum depression), or may be the cause of infertility, fetal abnormalities, stillbirth and premature labor. Although pregnancy causes the thyroid gland to enlarge, thyroid function usually remains stable. Therefore, pregnancy itself does not cause abnormal thyroid function, but rather hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism may be found in pregnant and non-pregnant women alike.

All said, if you have experienced a saline deflation, I RECOMMEND that it is removed. The decision to replace is your own, but I would also recommend that if your are concerned about breast prosthesis and your own personal health, and you are loosing precious hours of sleep over the, then do not replace them at the same time.

Sorry about the length, but thought this might help!

Good luck!

Dr. C

johnconnorsmd.com

John Philip Connors III, MD

I don't know of any

+1

To the best of my knowledge there has been no association of any disease of any kind with saline implants.  Sorry you had a problem, but hope you are now doing well.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Thyroid disease and saline implants

+1

It is unfortunate that you have experienced these recent medical problems after you had implants placed.  However, there is no literature to associate  the disease processes you are experiencing with the placment of implants.

Thyroid conditions and saline implants

+1

Saline implants are filled with sterile IV fluid and this is harmless to you.  I do not know of any data that scientifically links thyroid disease with the presence of saline implants.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS