Do I Need to Reschedule Breast Augmentation and Chin Lipo if I've Smoked a Cigarette?

I had a few drags on a cigarette last night and have breast augmentation and chin lipo scheduled on Wednesday, should I reschedule? I have been 100% smoke free for 3 weeks, and am a social smoker to begin with (probably 1 pack total per month at most) and plan to completely stop going forward.

Breast augmentation and chin lipo after smoking

+1

As you can imagine, smoking is bad for breast augmentation, (and surgery in general). Most would say that you have a significantly higher rate of wound complications. When one takes a drag on a cigarette, the chemicals cause vasoconstriction. Wound healing is all about getting blood flow and oxygen to the tissue. I believe that you will find that each doctor may have a different opinion as to how long you need to be off cigarettes. Some will test for nicotine in the system. Best to talk with a board certified plastic surgeon. Also best to quit smoking, (for a variety of other health reasons as well).

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/breast-augmentation

+1

Thoughts vary throughout the community re length of time to be nicotine free and which procedures this most effects.  In my practice, if you were nicotine free for 3 weeks, had only a “few drags” a few days prior to your surgery, I would most likely go ahead with the planned procedure.  However, I do have a “smoking-nicotine” waiver that I ask people to read and sign for patients who are chronic smokers and I feel that there is a chance that they have been non-compliant.  I have grave concern regarding  surgery for anyone who smokes; however, my most concern is for patients undergoing either abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), breast reduction,  or rhytidectomy (facelift) surgery.  These three  procedures have a higher incidence of flap or tissue failure in patients who are smokers.  I prefer that my patients discontinue smoking at least 1 month preop and 1 month postop. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Smoking

+1

Disclose the fact that you smoked to your surgeon and anesthesiologist.  You will probably not need to rescedule but they can take the necessary precautions.

Smoking and breast aumentation with chin liposuction.

+1

Nicotine in the smoke shrinks your blood vessels and can interfer with oxygen delivery to the tissues. There is also carbon monoxyde in the smoke that can do the same thing. When I perform procedures that involve skin flap elevation, example, facelift or tummy tuck I would ask the patient to stop smoking for at least three weeks prior to surgery. I do not ask patients to stop prior to breast augmentation routinely. One cigarette the night before should not make a difference, but you should ask your plastic surgeon for his personal opinion. It is good to ask question on realself because the answers can benefit everyone, but you and your surgeon are about to go on a journey together and have to establish a good level of communication. You should always follow all the instructions as long as you are under his or her care.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and chin and smoking

+1

I have active smokers stop 3-4 wks before surgery and remain off for 3-4 wks after surgery.  For a single cigarette, it probably is not a problem, but you should discuss it with your surgeon.

Ask surgeon about smoking before breast augmentatiom

+1

you need to discuss this with your surgeon, since not all surgeons would handle this the same way. for these particular surgeries, i myself would likely proceed.....but if you were having a facelift, tummytuck, or breastlift i would not. best of luck.......

Web reference: http://www.drbarach.com

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Smoking

+1

You should be fine, but make sure you let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know.  I doubt they will have any problem with it, but you should be honest with them about it.

Smoking before breast augment

+1
Smoking is implicated in poor wound healing and vascular disease. What is probably more significant than the two drags last night is whether you have been a regular smoker and if/when you stopped. I do not see this AA a reason fir cancellation, only vigilance, but you should discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Smoking and breast surgery

+1

We know that the healing issue with smoking is the continuous repeated insult to the small vessels in your skin.  Be sure to discuss this openly and honestly with your surgeon.

Smoking and breast augmentation/chin liposuction complications

+1

One cigarette should not be a problem for these specific surgeries, but always best to ask your surgeon.  Smoking, even one cigarette, can slow the healing process and leave one prone to healing problems and infection, and of course should always be avoided.  That said, I would not cancel your case if you had one cigarette (assuming all else was in order).  If you had an upcoming facelift, abdominoplasty or breast reduction I would have a different answer.  Best of luck to you.