Is It Required to Be So Close to my Ideal Weight to Have a Tummy Tuck?

Hi, I'm 27, 5'7",weight 190lbs. I know that weight is over weight going by BMI chart. My question is it required to be close to the ideal weight on the charts. I really don't want to weigh any less than 160. Being ethnic I have larger cheek bones, hips, butt, and breast. I want to know if my general weight will that keep me from going ahead with the surgery. I have alot of extra skin on my tummy and I want the muscles tighten too, also how much is that for a larger person like me?

Very little effect

+2

Your weight should have very little affect on your outcome from TT surgery, that is, as lont as you are not massively obese.  You certainly are not that, so you should get a very nice result.  Liposuction can add something to a TT by contouring areas around your tummy.  Go for it.

Should you be at your ideal weight for a tummy tuck?

+2

Most patients are not their ideal weight for surgery of any kind. But for a tummy tuck you should try to be closer to your ideal weight, if possible. This will allow for a btter result. I believe 160 pounds with your height would be fine; 190 pounds is a bit too much. I suggest that you try to get down to near 160 pounds and I believe the result will be worth the effort. Good luck.

George Lefkovits, MD

+2

As you can read the expert posters are split on this issue. But generally the "ideal" means best. So I love Dr Shafer's comment, "ideal results will be if you are at or near your ideal weight." Have I done non "ideal" weight patients - SURE I have. So you need to decide if you should "attempt' weight loss. 

+2

It is always better to be at your ideal weight, but it is possible to do a tummy tuck in you and obtain a good result. A lipoabdominoplasty will give you a better results than a pure abdominoplsty.  you would need to take extra precautions and DVT prophylaxis.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck at ideal weight

+2

It is not required but highly recommended. It depends on the distribution of your fat and skin as well as your expectations. In general, the closer you are to your ideal weight, the happier you will be.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

What a great question.

+2

going by the charts I am also considered overwieght with a BMI of about 26-27.  trust me I am not overweight. therefore I don't even calculate BMI in my surgical pts. instead I evaluate their overall fitness, health and liklihood that surgery is the right choice for their concerns. Good Luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Weight and tummy tuck

+2

Ideally you are as close to an ideal weight for you.  I personally would go ahead with a tummy tuck at your weight for a number of reasonsw.  You will feel better about yourself and want to to better and maintain it.  Alot of patient lose weight with the surgery because most are not as hungry or get full quicker inially.  This will change and you will be able to overeat later.  The goal would be to at least maintain your weight if not lose weight after your procedure, in the subsequent months.  Discuss all of this with your surgery and make sure you have realistic expectations.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Weight and Tummy

+2

The ideal results will be if you are at or near your ideal weight.  However, you also need to be realistic.  If you are much heavier than your ideal weight and your lifestyle and habits make it so you will never be your ideal weight, then the surgery should be performed at your realistic weight.  Your realistic weight is your baseline weight during normal day life.  It is unrealistic to loose weight to an artificial goal if you are just going to go back to your old habits and gain the weight back.  So, doing the surgery at your realistic weight will maximize your results for a realistic result.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Is Ideal Weight Necessary for a tummy tuck

+2

It really depends upon your body.  For example, if you have minimal excess abdominal skin, but a lot of visceral fat (fat in the abdominal cavity), then it would be best to lose weight prior to a tummy tuck.  On the other hand, if you have a significant amount of excess skin hanging loosely, then you would probably get a very nice result with a tummy tuck at your current weight.   This is why a consultation with an ABPS Board Certified surgeon is necessary to help you determine if it is a good idea to proceed with surgery at your current weight. 

Also, if you are planning to lose weight, then you may want to hold off on surgery until you have lost the weight.  I am referring to a significant weight loss (20 or more pounds).  

Ultimately, this is a decision that you need to make with the advise of a well qualified Plastic Surgeon.  Best of Luck, Dr. Weider.

Laurence Weider, MD

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+2

It doesn't seem to matter. I've never had to revise a tummy tuck on account of weight loss.

J. Brian Boyd, MD