Requesting Rhinoplasty Cast Removal on Day 8, Instead of Day 12?

I had a rhinoplasty 8 days ago, my actual PS is out of town, and his stand in PS has told me he won't take it off until day 12. I'm frustrated, and would like advice on how to not insult my surgeon, but request my cast be off now? I am leaning towards calling again tomorrow, asking to get the number to speak to my surgeon directly to explain the miscommunication. If I don't receive the number, I will tell the front desk that I need it off now. What's the best way to deal with this situation?

Requesting rhinoplasty cast removal on day 8 instead of day 12?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. The hard cast is typically removed one week after surgery, and brown paper tape is worn on the nose during week two. The hard cast is generally used for the following:

1) Protecting the nose following surgery

2) Helping the nose keep its new shape following surgery

Keeping your cast on for a few extra days will not help or hurt your result. Depending on the office and preference of the physician, it may be possible to have your cast removed by a nurse or physician's assistant. It is best to wait for your surgeon to remove the cast, but If you must have the nasal cast removed, then calling the office to find out your options would be the next best step. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The plastic surgeon covering the practice has the benefit of knowing your case better and his fellow plastic surgeon's tendencies.  There is no data to show that there is a difference in removing a splint at day 8 or day 12, and either could be appropriate.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Disagreement on Cast Removal Date

+1

The vast majority of nasal splints placed following rhinoplasty can be removed by day 8 without any detrimental effect on the result.  However, there may be good reasons to keep a cast/splint on longer -- and this may be your case.  If the stand-in PS wasn't sure, he is just playing it safe by leaving it on longer. The best way, of course, would be to get your surgeon's direct input if this is possible. If you are unable to do this, I would try again to discuss with the stand-in, but trust their judgement if they are still insistent.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon