Ulthera - How Experienced Should a Doctor be?

Even though my doctor is qualified to perform Ulthera.. the fact that he hasn't done very many patients have anything to do with the results. I am talking about his knowledge of the number of passes and angles used to get the most benefit from the treatment. I want to know if there is a standard way of using the machine or is it his experience from trial and error?

Ultherapy as as standard treatment

+1

Your doctor can follow the standard guidelines from the Ulthera company as he was trained and then it is a straight forward treatment. Over time, physicians gain insights from each other and collectively we develop newer and possibly more effective protocols.

Experience with Ulthera

+1
Ultherapy is a new procedure, approved in the United States in Sept 2009. The most experienced physicians have only been doing this for a year and a half. Because of this, we are all learning how to best utilize the device. As we all gain experience and insight, our individual results have improved. There is a concerted effort, among physicians doing the procedure, to share information. This way, we all benefit from the different protocols employed around the country. Experience does matter but remember every physician has their very first Ulthera patient. Fortunately, your physician has the benefit of all of us that went before them. In this situation, I would say you are fortunate that your physician is honest about their experience. Your next step should be an open discussion about results. You need to ask; since they do not have a great deal of actual experience, what will they do if you do not get a good result. In our practice, we guaranteed our treatment. If our patients did not get a good result, we would retreat them for free. Good luck.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon