Replicon 325 Silcone W/ Polyurathane Cover- How Firm Is Firm?

Here is my question, How firm is firm? How do I know if I needto get them replaced? I feel that my left one is getting hard but not sure, would my regular Dr. be able to tell me or should I go straight to a plastic surgeon? Also I have had them since 1989- I was an almost A and have thought about just getting them removed. How weird would that look?

Removal of Breast Implants and Breast Appearance?

+1

You would be best off visiting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss options after direct physical examination.  The  recommendation will likely involve removal of the older implants.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Polyurethane breast implants

+1

Polyurethane breast implants (Replicon, Meme),  were very popular in the 80's as the polyurethane cover prevented capsular contracture quite well. The covering disappeared over time leaving the implant looking like a smooth gel implant. The implants do wear and leak as all implants do, and the symtoms are tenderness and eventual capsular contracture. After 20+ years it is time for your imlants to be removed, and perhaps replaced.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Replicon breast implants

+1

Replicon's were the most popular breast implant in the late 80's because they were felt to have a minimal capsular contracture rate.  The polyurethane foam coating however dissolved over maybe 7-8 years and the patient was left with a garden variety smooth walled gel implant and the cc rate then started to climb.  No regular doctor visit is worth it for you, only a plastic surgeon.  Disucss with them what degree of cc you have and what you might possibly look like with them out.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS