Replacing Old Saline Breast Implants with No Paperwork?

Who were the manufacturer's of Saline implants in the early 90's? I just had one of my implants removed and there are no identifying markings. I don't have my paperwork and the doctor that performed the Breast Augmentation is retired.

Will/can a plastic surgeon figure this out or do I need to do the research prior to? Yes I want them both replaced.

Replacing saline breast implants without old paperwork

+1

Your case is a bit curious.  You have one removed, but still not sure of the size.  At time of surgery, the surgeon could weigh the implant, measure the base width of the implant, or immerse the implant into a measured cylinder, where the amount of fluid displaced is the volume.  If this was not done, the surgeon who took the implant out may have sent it to pathology.  They may still have it, (doubtful).

That said, it is a good idea to have the old operative note from the previous surgeon.  The time period that you are trying to cover is a while ago, making it more difficult.  the old surgeon may have sold his practice to a younger surgeon.  If you had surgery in the hospital of surgery center, they may still have the records.

Even without the old records, an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon should be able to give you a good result.

An appropriate substitution should be relatively easy

+1

By measuring the removed implant and weighing it if there was fluid in it, your plastic surgeon should be able to recommend a substitute implant for both sides.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

You don't need any paperwork!

+1

Hi!

You have already had a breast implant removed.  Was it weighed?  If not, your plastic surgeon can estimate the size, and have a range of suitable breast implants available at the time of your surgery.  So you don't need to know all the details about your original implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Saline implants

+1

There were many manufacturers producing implants in the 1990's.

You can request your records in writing from the retired doctor; perhaps his practice has been taken over by annother doctor who can access the records, or if the surgery was performed in a surgery center or hospital perhaps they have a copy of your records.

I'm curious why it is so important to know about saline implants that are apparently going to be replaced anyway. If you are unable to find records, the size can usually be estimated fairly accurately by an accurate history and a careful physical examination performed by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Brent Moelleken, MD