Replacing a Removed Nasal Spine

During my rhinoplasty 5 years ago my nasal spine was removed without my previous knowledge. My nose looks much shorter from the frontal view and as a result is not aestetically pleasing. Also, my upper lip now appears too long. I was wondering if there is a procedure that can replace the nasal spine and make my nose appear longer from the front view again? Also, will this procedure, if it exists, make the upper lip appear shorter?

Nasal Spine Removal During Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to answer your question without photos and examination.  However, I agree with some of the comments what you are describing may be a short nose (pig nose).  The best way to lengthen the nose is with extension grafts placed inside the nose to de-rotate the nasal tip.  If you have septal cartilage left, then your surgeon can use the cartilage.  If inadequate septal cartilage is available, other sources of cartilage or even synthetic material (such as medpor) may be considered.

Best of Luck.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

No, the nasal spine cannot be replaced, think of it like a piece of bone that has been removed. However, there are ways to lengthen the nose and shorten the upper lip. It is best to consult with a Facial Plastic Surgeon regarding these options.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal spine

+1

Hey 11704 - based on your description of the appearance of your nose, I would suggest that not only was the spine removed which is not an uncommon maneuver to elicit a very specific change at the base of the center post of the nose but likely the immediate end of the septum was also trimmed.  This maneuver can elicit a rotation and shortening effect which can make the upper lip look longer as more is now visible.   Revision rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor and my practice here on Long Island is with an increasing number of patients requesting improvement in poor nasal surgery outcomes.  Choosing revision surgery is a decision that should be marked with lots of homework and research into the experience and credentials of the surgeon you may choose to perform this work!  Happy to help!

Hamptons Facial Plastic Surgeon

Replacing Nasal Spine

+1

It sounds like you may need a caudal septal extension graft to lengthen your nose and de-rotate the tip. The area of spine removal can be augmented with a cartilage graft.

The nasal spine may be addressed in about 5 % of rhinoplasties

+1

I have published a number of articles on the nasal spine in rhinoplasty and have found that removing all or part of the spine is used in about 1/20 patients. If other nasal tip supports are left in place, treating the nasal spine would have a minimal effect. To fully understand how to restore the proper angle to the nose, called the naso-labial angle, you should see a rhinoplasty specialist.

Web reference: http://www.mdface.com/proc_rhinoplasty.html

Fixes for the short nose

+1

Almost everything that can be taken out of the nose during rhinoplasty surgery, can also be replaced in the subsequent revision rhinoplasty.  That includes the nasal septal spine and the end of the septum (caudal septum).  Many times to rebuild such a nose, cartilage from other areas (ear, rib) are harvested and used as building blocks.  So yes, a good revision rhinoplasty surgeon can probably repair your nose.  All the best, Dr. Vartanian.

Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columellar/Nasal Spine Revision After Rhinoplasty

+1

Removing the anterior nasal spine usually results in a retracted columellar base. This may make the nose look shorter by closing the nasolabial angle in profile view. This may or may not make the lip look longer however. As part of the nasal spine removal you may have lost the caudal end of the septum as well. The nasolabial angle can be opened up and supported by a cartilage caudal extension graft or even a modified premaxillary implant.  

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com/

Caudal Extension Graft to Lengthen the Nose

+1

Generally speaking, what you are describing is that your nose is too short and you want to lengthen it. One techniuqe used to do this is called a caudal extension graft or a septal extension graft. Cartilage from your nose or other parts of your body is used to replace the missing portion of cartilage that was removed in the past.  However, the maxillary spine is a different issue and is just one part of the caudal septum.

It is in your best interest to consult with a revision rhinoplasty specialist in order to ascertain what your needs may be.  It is easy to get lost in the nomenclature of different techniuques, but there is no cookbook way to achieve excellent revision rhinoplasty results.  A surgeon that is proficient in revision rhinoplasty will help you navigate these waters.

Web reference: http://www.drsteiger.com/procedures/nose/rhinoplasty.html

Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Spine

+1

There are a variety of options and techniques to correct a variety of deformities. It is very difficult to say without seeing your before and after photos what would be the most efficacious approach.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Replacing the nasal spine.

+1
If it only needs bulk where the spine was removed this can be done with cartilage or Radiesse. However, if you need lengthening as well the this is more involved. You should see an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.