Replacing a Porcelain Crown

I am 20 years old and my front central tooth broke in half two months ago. I am having a full porcelain crown placed on this tooth. How many years do you think this will last? How many times, in my life, will i need to have the crown replaced? Also, I had braces off when I was 16. I am wearing a retainer, will the metal wire ruin or break the porclain crown? Will the retianer fit the new crown or will I need to get a new retainer?

How Long Do Crowns Last?

+1

There is not exact answer to how long crowns last.  On a front tooth your crown typically will not take the forces that a crown does on a back tooth so the longevity should be better.   Make sure that you have immaculate hygiene to ensure that you do not get decay or gingival inflammation.  You should brush at least twice daily with an ultrasonic toothbrush and floss once a day.  If you do these things you should get 10-20 years out of your crown.  You will most likely need to get a new retainer after your crown is placed.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

How long will a crown last?

+1

It is unpredictable exactly how long a crown will last.  Some last up to five years while others may last for fifteen years.  It depends heavily on oral hygiene.  Be sure to brush and floss twice a day to keep it clean.  Your retainer will need to be adjusted to fit the new crown, but one will not damage the other.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian.

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Corona Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns last 10-15 years in that area..

+1

Make sure you get an all porcelain crown with no metal on it so that it will last longer cosmetically as well..

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Replaicing a porcelain crown

+1

A porcelain crown is supposed to last for the lifetime of the tooth, however you must have a good home care (dental hygiene). I would say is also a limitation; make sure you do not bite hard foods with this crown; don't chew on sticky foods as well...That standsnot only for your crown but also for your own teeth. You can adjust the retainer according to your new crown.    

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Dental crowns don't last forever, but they last a long time

+1

It is impossible to predict how long dental treatment will last, but dental crowns are among the longest lasting treatments in dentistry.  Insurances usually have a benefit every 5 years, but many crowns last MUCH longer than that, often as long as 20 years.

"Things" happen, but I would NOT say that it will need to be replaced every 5 years.  If properly cared for, it COULD last the rest of your life.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns on teeth - no time limit...

+1

A crown does not have an expiration date on it when placed. If you have a solid core to put it on, don't drink a lot of acidic drinks (soda and coffee and tea), you can expect if to last a long time. If you aren't on any medications and don't smoke or have diabetes, then you can anticipate the crown to last even longer

If you have reasonable home care, floss the area regularly, get professional cleanings when suggested and don't participate in kick boxing, skateboarding, karate or regularly get into fights in bars, then it should last a really long time.

The lab should take your retainer when they fabricate the crown to 'fit' it inside the dimensions of the retainer. Otherwise, if the retainer is beat up, you can have a new one made and it should be fine on the porcelain.

Randall LaFrom, DDS
San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain crown

+1

Hello ,

A good crown should last for a lifetime unless anything unexpected happens. Once the crown has been bonded, the retainer should be adjusted to fit the arch .

Dalvir Pannu, DDS
San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

Questions about your new crown.

+1

Properly manufactured and bonded, a reasonable expectation for an all porcelain crown is 20 years. It may last longer or less time - things happen. In 20 years there will be new technology to replace this crown that should carry you for the duration. The retainer will not damage the crown, but must be adjusted or remade to fit properly.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist