Replacement of Saline Breast Implants?

I have had saline breast implants for 20 years. Recently the left one started to deflate so I will be replacing both. The impants are above the muscle. I am small framed but very comfortable with how they look. Would the best option be to just replace as they are now? I have read a lot about the under the muscle placement but since the pocket is already there it seems to me that it would be advantageous to just replace as is. Any thought on benefits of staying the same or changing to undermuscle

Replacing implants

+3

Since you liked the result that you had for 20 years, I see no reason to change the implant position.  A silicone gel implant above the muscle would likely look and feel even more natural than the saline did.  Choose an ASPS plastic surgeon and make the choice together.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Replacing saline implants when one has ruptured

+2

The short answer is you would do well with just replacing the implants without any other changes, as long as you were happy with your previous results, and were not having any issues. Other issues to consider include whether or not to replace them with saline or silicone gel, among others. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Replacing Saline Implants.

+2

There are several options available to you and the best answer will be given to you after a thorough exam and consultation. I doubt you need to go below the muscle given the fact that you have been very happy for 20 years and have no capsule problems. You could replace the deflated implant or replace both of them with saline or silicone. You could keep your size the same, go bigger or go smaller. Each of these options have pros and cons and therefore you need to discuss the best options for you with your surgeon. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Changing implant position isn't always necessary

+2

There are a number of factors to consider when determining what type of implant and what position (subglandular or subpectoral) is the best one for you when the time comes to replace your implants.  These details cannot be determined without an in person consultation.  However, since you have been happy with your implants in the subglandular (under the breast, but above the muscle) position for twenty years, you may not appreciate a significant benefit from moving the implants to a subpectoral (under the muscle) position.  Changing implant position is a more complicated and extensive surgery than simply replacing the implants.  Though it can be helpful for some people, it is not always necessary.

Emily A. Williams, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Changing breast implants to under the muscle

+2

There are many benefits for under the muscle breast augmentation.  However, a change in the implant pocket is only needed if there is an existing problem or discontent with the current implant pocket and contour. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

If you are happy do not change pocket

+2
Hello, Thank you for the question. If you were happy with the saline implants on top of the muscle you will be even happier with silicone in the same position. There is no reason to change the pocket position if you do not need to. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Replacing implants

+2

Without an exam, it is difficult to tell you what implants would be best for you.  If you liked the implant volume you had then you may be best to go with that.

Placement with Replacement of old Saline Breast Implants after a deflation.

+2

Since you sound like you were happy with the breast implants the day before the deflation, I would suggest that you could replace both of the implants in the same sub-glandular (in front of the muscle) pockets. 

As an option, you and your plastic surgeon should evaluate whether a better cosmetic result could be obtained with new implants under the muscle. This can only be determined with an examination and consultation.

As patients get older, they tend to slowly loose breast mass, thinning the coverage over their implants. This means that with time you may more easily feel your implants. You should strongly consider using gel implants for your replacement surgery, since they feel more natural. 

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Replacement of Saline Breast Implants?

+2

I would keep the implants above the muscle.If the fascia is intact part of it could be used to help support the implant

.If your implants are small relative to your body frame, saline should be fine .However if you are thin ,.have large implants ,or have signs of rippling, I would change them to silicone gel implants

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Replacing saline breast implants and pocket position

+2

If you have done well with your breast implants for 20 years and have not had a problem with capsular contracture, I would not suggest changing the placement of the breast pocket to the submuscular position.  It will be safer to simply replace the implants.  I would suggest replacing both implants, even though only one is leaking, given the age of the implants.  Depending on the size of the replacement implants, your surgeon may want to consider a capsulotomy to further enlarge the pocket size.  If rippling of the implants was an issue you may want to consider changing to a silicone implant.  Just be certain your surgeon discusses the need for MRI scans when using silicone implants.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon