I had a replacement of breast implants but they've got hard. Is it possible that I've already got capsular contracture again?

The operation was due to capsular contracture and were performed 8 weeks ago. A couple of days ago they started to get hard like capsular contracture. Can I do anything about it? example take some supplements, work out/or not work out, massage/or not massge breast. Or is a new operation the only thing to do?

Strattice for recurrent capsular contracture

+1

Unfortunately, none of the treatments for reducing capsular contracture are very effective once it has begun. This includes massage, medications, supplements, and exercise. If your contracture has recurred you may need to consider another surgery. If that turns out to be necessary, then it would involve capsulectomy, Strattice, and implant replacement. I wish there were better options.

Capsular contracture, breast revision surgery

+1

Capsular contracture is a difficult thing with breast surgery. Plastic Surgeons do what we can to try to decrease the risk of having one but there is risk with breast augmentation surgery. The recurrence risk of capsular contracture can be as high as 40% depending on what type of revision surgery is done. I would talk to your plastic surgeon about this in the near future to see what he/she recommends. There are different oral medications that can be tried with varying results.

Good Luck to you!

Margo Herron, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

+1

Once you have had capsular contracture you are at a higher risk to develop it again - that said I have had a zero recurrence rate at 4 years in thos patients who I have used a protein matrix on at the time of surgery. In your situation I would be certain to be on either Accolate or singular and have your provider start you on an antibiotic. None of this may help but it is a start prior to going back for more surgery. Be certain though to go back to your PS so he can manage the situation.

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon