Replacement of Both Root Canal and Crown As a Result of an Adjacent Tooth Extraction?

An infection developed under my left molar and the dentist decided to remove the tooth. During the difficult extraction, the dentist also removed the crown of the tooth located next to the one being removed but he did put it back straight after. 2-3 weeks later, the tooth that had the crown temporarily removed started to be painful so I went back. He then took an xray but could not see any wrong. yet, he recommended a replacement of the root canal and the crown. Is this normal procedure?

Lost of a tooth after an extraction?

+1

Yes these things do happen most likely you would of needed a new crown anyways, if you have lost confidence in your dentist have them show you the condition of the tooth before the extraction and after and perhaps you can work something out good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD  CEO Batystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Proper treatment

+1

Hi there.  If you have any doubt as to the recommended treatment, I recommend going in to see an Endodontist (root canal specialist) to see if a root canal is truly recommended. Your dentist should have at least one or two good endodontists in the area that he/she recommends.  It does not hurt to get a second opinion from a root canal specialist.  With regards to a new crown.  If the crown still fits perfectly and there is no underlying decay or damaged tooth structure--there should be no problem re-cementing the existing crown. However, proper evaluation by your dentist will help determine. 

Good Luck!

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist