Should I Replace Just the Leaking Implant or Both?

Leaking implants

+1

I make that recommendation based on the age of the implant. If they are newer, then replacing the deflated one would be an option. If they are older, then I may recommend replacing them both.

Depends on your situation

+1

If the implants are 8 years old (or older) replace both.

If they are less than this, and everything is otherwise perfect, just replace the leaky one.

If you want to change the size or shape, or there are firmness issues - do both.

Thomas Fiala, MD

?? Replacing One Breast Implant or Both

+1

There are many factors to take into consideration when deciding to change a single breast implant or both.  Some of these factors include size preferences, type of implant fill and implant age. 

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

Hi! Thank you for your question,

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

To answer your question, it all depends on the implant and how long you have had it for. I highly recommend you to consult with your board certified plastic surgeon and see what he recommends you to do.

Below are some links for additional information and before and after pictures.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900.

Best of luck and have a great day!

Regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Replace one or both implants

+1

I always recommend replacing both implants.  The cost difference is minimal and it would be terrible to replace one implant and then have the other implant rupture one year later.  Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

One leaking, replace both

+1

It should cost little more to replace both implants if one has worn and leaking. Under current implant warranties we often have the option to get both to replace. This will give you a fresh start date for both and give the longest interval before a replacement might be required again.

Replacement of a leaking implant

+1

Dear Patient,

you should be able to sit down and feel comfortable with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss details, finances, sizes, silicone versus saline implants, timing and recovery for a single or bilateral replacement. all quotes should be given in writing.

Florence Mussat

312-751-9000

Florence Mussat, MD

+1

This depends on the type of implant, how old it is and if you are considering other procedures. Your plastic surgeon should be able to give you the pro's and con's of each based on your specific needs. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Usually both implants are replaced if one fails after breast augmentation.

+1

There are exceptions but for the most part I will replace both implants if one has failed. It costs no more to replace both than just one.

Should I Replace Just the Leaking Breast Implant or Both?

+1

In my practice, patients who present with a unilateral breast implant deflation are treated on an individualized basis.  In other words,  it is hard to generalize exactly what would be best in your case.

For example, if a patient has a deflation of one breast implant but is otherwise pleased with the size, shape, feel,  position of the other breast implant there may be no reason to operate on the uninvolved side.  If,  on the other hand, if there is an indication to remove/replace or otherwise manipulate the non-deflated breast implant pocket, this may be a good time to do so. This may be especially true if the breast augmentation surgery was done many years ago.

As you can see, there are many variables involved;  best to seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your specific situation.