Should I Replace Silicone to Saline? (photo)

Having surgery to fix breast next week. Doc wants me to change to 500cc cuz I have no upper pole and cleavage. He said right breast is hung up or is it capsulated. What should I switch too?

Should I Replace Silicone to Saline?

+1

Why switch? Consider fat grafting to the upper pole of the deficient side. Best to discuss this in person with your chosen PS 

Should I Replace Silicone to Saline?

+1

Removal and replacement of breast implants is gaining in popularity as breast implants are aging. After about 15 years many of the older implants are being replaced. Saline breast implants have a high rate of wrinkling and most women are opting for the newer silicone breast implants which feel more natural. Replacement of your breast implants with silicone would be a good choice. Large implants are suitable for larger women but tend to cause skin stretch and sag long term in smaller women or women who do not have good supporting structures. Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Peter T. Pacik, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Should I Replace Silicone to Saline?

+1

Either silicone or saline should be fine, but silicone may have fewer ripples longterm.  As far as superior pole fullness, this can be generated a number of different ways.  A larger implant may do this.  Revising the lift and/or pocket can accomplish this as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Silicone vs saline implants

+1

You have enough tissue for either to work fine. The main issue is dealing with the capsule issue and getting the size right. Big implants don't stay up well in folks with less tissue elasticity like you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Possible capsular contracture causing breast asymmetry

+1

If you have sufficient soft tissue coverage then it may not effect your final result using either a saline or gel implant.  It appears that you have sufficient medial cleavage just the right implant appears higher than the left.  This may be imporved with a capsulectomy and new implants.  

Implant choice

+1

Saline or silicone implants are both good choices and this is really patient dependent and a personal choice.

Saline or silicone implants, which is best for me?

+1

The choice of saline or silicone implants is a personal one and depends Orna number of factors. Your implants are fairly large and with the release of the capsule on the right side, it will sit lower. I'm not sure if your plastic surgeon has suggested larger implants but if your surgery is next week you'll need to make this decision relatively soon. Discuss your options with your plastic surgeon and find out what he/she recommends as best for you.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Saline Or Silicone Breast Implants for Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. There are pros/cons associated with each type of breast implant. What implant you should “switch to” will depend on your specific goals and preferences. For example, some patients who are looking for a "full round look” benefit from the use of saline breast implants, more so than the use of silicone gel breast implants which tend to give more of a "natural fullness look" (in my opinion).  Of course, the saline breast implant may feel more firm and/or less “natural” than the silicone gel breast implant.

My best suggestion would be to sit down  with your plastic surgeon and have a full communication of your goals as well as the pros/cons associated with each type of breast implant. Understanding these pros/cons will be necessary for you to make a well-informed decision.