Should I Replace my Old Dental Implant? What Can I Replace It With? Why Doesn't my New Dental Work Match?

When I was little, I fell and chipped one of my front teeth. Over the next several years, it turned a dark color and I got an abscess on the gum above it. I went to a specialist who did a root canal, removed the tooth, and replaced it with some sort of an implant (not a bridge). That was 35 years ago. The crown is actually still in very good shape. I don't have any problems with it. What I don't like, is that it doesn't match any of my other dental work.The gum above it also has receded.

Replacing An Old Dental Implant to Better Match My Other Teeth

+1

Almost all of the older implants were metal abutments and porcelain fused to metal crowns.  These metal implant components, by virtue of being metal, do not match the esthetics of natural teeth or all ceramic dental crowns.

Today, especially for front teeth done in the front of the mouth, dentists will place a tooth colored zirconia abutment into implants and then utilize all ceramic (non metal supported) crowns over the abutment.  This gives a much more natural match to the adjacent teeth, either natural teeth or teeth that have had porcelain veneers or all ceramic crowns.

This approach should much superior to what you have today.  The big question to ask your implant dentist is whether he can redo the old implant with these new non-metal components (zirconia abutments and all ceramic crowns).  Unfortunately, I don't have enough information about how your original implant was done to give you this answer.

It is exciting to learn that your implant has already lasted 35 years, which is a great testament to implant technology.  Today the success rate is extremely high and dental implants are changing the lives for the better for so many people who are missing teeth.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Old implant

+1

In the situation that you describe it seems that the implant is not a problem, if it is well integrated. Most likely the crown should be updated, and the new crown can be precisely matched with the rest of the teeth.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Old crown needs updating

+1

It is unlikely to be an implant I agree. You can verify that by asking your dentist to show you the xrays. Easy to tell. You can easily have that crown replaced provided all support and hygiene is intact. It sounds like you may only need the crown replaced. Best of luck going forward.

Marielaina Perrone DDS

Henderson Cosmetic Dentist

Henderson Cosmetic Dentist

My old dental work does not match, what do I do

+1

I agree with the other doctors.  It does not sound like you had an implant.  I would find a highly rated cosmetic dentist and get an opinion on how to fix you problem. You may only need the crown replaced.  Good luck

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Implant, cosmetic, prosthodontist

+1

Your situation is not unusual. You have had the crown in service for many years. That is good. And, yes, you can have it changed to match the rest of your teeth. Since you are dealing with a somewhat compromised situation, consider going to the specialist in restorative, cosmetic, and implant dentistry--the Prosthodontist. Prosthodontists go to three years of extensive education and training to handle situations like yours. By going to the best trained and qualified specialist you will maximize the successful outcome of your case. You can easily locate a qualified Prosthodontist near you on the internet. Best of luck.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Can implants be redone

+1

Without and x-ray it is hard to say, but it does not seem you have had an implant placed to begin with. Please go to an experienced cosmetic dentist since  the  area of your concern is right in front of your face....

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Matching a crown to other dental work

+1

You need to find yourself a reputable and experienced cosmetic dentist who can evaluate your smile and give you some options of how to fix the problem.

Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

New Dental Work Doesn't Match My Old Implant

+1

First of all, it really does NOT sound like you have an implant. If the dentist did a root canal, and did NOT extract the tooth, then you do NOT have an implant. You probably have a post and a crown, I suggest you see a very experienced and well trained cosmetic dentist who can advise you on what to do. Without seeing X-rays and photos, it is impossible to give you advice.

New York Cosmetic Dentist