Is It Possible To Replace Gore-tex Nasal Implant In Same Operation As Removal?

the nasal implant was done 3 years ago,everything is okay but would like to increase the height for more bridge. is it possible to have one surgery where the old implant is replace by a new one? or should i wait for 2-3 months in between the old and new implant? is gore-tex implant harder to remove?

Replacing gore-tex nasal implant

+1

If the gore-tex implant is not infected, then certainly it can be replaced with another substnace to restore the dorsal height. Prefereably with your own tissue like cartilage.

+1

Yes as long as the graft and the surrounding tissues are well healed without signs of graft infection, the graft can be removed and replaced with a large dorsal implant.  I prefer the silastic dorsal implants as goretex can become infected for no apparent reason years later, IMHO which was the topic of a scientific paper on Goretex implants in Rhinoplasty that I pubvlished in the late 1990's.

Remove and Rplace Gortex Nasal Implant

+1

You do not dscribe any reason to remove the existing Gortex implant. Simply add to it with more Gortex or another material to increase the projection of yoiur bridge.

Revision Rhinoplasty, with Gore-Tex, Can be Tricky

+1

Hello there.

Gore-Tex unless specially coated, can be tricky to remove. Check with your surgeon as to exactly what kind of Gore-Tex implant was placed.

I agree with my colleagues who have already responded that rather than " remove and replace" the existing  Gore-Tex implant, there are more predictable ways to raise your bridge.

Filler placement is an excellent option because it is very precise and you get to participate in the decision as to " how much?" Layering on another implant is OK also.

My recommendation is always to pursue the course with the least uncertainty of result.

- Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Auuthor, SECRETS OF  A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

Replace implant

+1

If the only reason is to add more height then you can replace it at the same time. If the goretex was infected then I would not recommend it. 

PS-instead of removing it it is sometimes possible to just add more layers.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have several options for raising the height of your nasal bridge with a preexisting Gore-Tex (ePTFE) implant.

+1

Rather than replacing your current implant, you may wish to ask your surgeon if he could place an additional layer of Gore-Tex on top of your current implant. This may be the best solution for you.

You may also consider a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty procedure with an Injectable Filler to add height to your bridge. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. I have used Silikon-1000 to raise the bridge in several of my own rhinoplasty patients with ePTFE implants and have had favorable results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Replacing gortex implant

+1

You can replace the gortex at the same time rather than wait several months. This would cut down on the overall disruption to the tissues in the area and simplify the recovery process.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD