What Can I Do After Three Surgeries Have Failed?

My 1st surgery was March 2009 (over tm) 1 week later 1 breast was so Inlarged surgery was done with a new implant he could clean up and remove blood clots. Then in December 2009 I had been noticing the same breast was hurting I waited until April 2010 to see him which I was told the breast had capsulated and he wants to put them under the muscle which he did. Now the same breast again has not formed to size it's lop sided. What should I do the fear to have surgery for the 4th time is scarey.

You may want to seek a second opinion

+1

Even in the best of hands with the best breast surgeons, patients develop complications. It would probably ease your mind, if you saw another reputable physician to get a second opinion. Always choose a board certified plastic surgeon, and ask other physicians such as your gynecologist, or friends of yours who have had cosmetic breast surgery ,if they would give you a recommendation.

Recurrent capsular contracture: consider Strattice

+1

With a recurrent capsular contracture you have limited options. One is to remove the implant and the capsule, allow everything to heal for a few months and start over; the other is capsulectomy, implant replacement, and A Strattice graft. This is very effective at preventing another recurrence.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast implant capsular contracture

+1

Problems with breast implants like hardening can occur but in my practice fortunately, it has become much less. Once you have a problem though, it may not go away. It is difficult to judge what I would recommend from your photos and what you write except to not have surgery again until at least one year from last one. Watch my videos.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

More breast surgery

+1

I would advise you to leave it alone.  It's never, ever perfect.  Get fitted for a nice bra and enjoy your nice, full chest. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Risk versus return in breast surgery

+1

At this point, you've already had two complications with implant surgery - Hematoma followed by capsular contracture. You have asymmetry, but not striking. Further surgery is less predictable and the risk of further complications may outweigh any minor improvement in symmetry. If it does not bother you significantly, I recommend leaving things as they are.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Repeat breast surgery

+1

It sounds as though you have had a rough time.i believe the ensuing hematoma probably contribute to the capsule.Putting the implant under the muscle,vigorous massage and perhaps a textured implant may provide for a softer more natural implant.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fourth Breast Surgery

+1

I do not see any indication for surgical revision in the pictures.  Breasts look fine, and symmetric.  If you want them tighter and lifted, consider circumvertical mastopexy.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Your presurgical photos need reassessment. The photos show reasonable symmetry, you may have some extra breast tissue with mild sagging on left side which can get exaggerated when the implant is under the muscle. But atleast it is in safe place. In my view leave it alone.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Multiple loser to capsular contracture

+1

At this point, it would be reasonable to leave them alone or consider having them taken out as you seem to be someone in whom implants don't mix well.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Re-Recurrent Severe Scarring Around Breast Implants

+1

Regarding: "What Can I Do After Three Surgeries Have Failed?
My 1st surgery was March 2009 (over tm) 1 week later 1 breast was so Inlarged surgery was done with a new implant he could clean up and remove blood clots. Then in December 2009 I had been noticing the same breast was hurting I waited until April 2010 to see him which I was told the breast had capsulated and he wants to put them under the muscle which he did. Now the same breast again has not formed to size it's lop sided. What should I do the fear to have surgery for the 4th time is scarey
."

For whatever reason (vomiting, heavy lifting etc) you bled after the first operation. Blood in the implant pocket raises the risk of implant scarring. At your blood clot evacuation, new implant was used under the breast over the muscle but predictably within 7 months it formed serious scarring requiring the scar removal and placing it under the muscle. Yet - the highest predictor of NEW capsule formation is a history of capsule formation.

Unless you are truly bothered by your breasts, I would advise to leave them alone. Your odds of ANOTHER capsule scarring are very high.

Dr. Peter Aldea