Will a Repeat Nasal Sill Reduction Impair my Breathing?

I had a nasal sill excision in my primary rhinoplasty in 2009 and my nasal base is still too wide. I am going in to see my surgeon to excise more tissue from my nasal sill as a touch up, and I am curious if a repeat nasal sill reduction will impair my breathing AND what are the risks associated with repeat nasal sill excision?

Nasal base too wide?

+1

it is difficult to assess based on the base view alone - but, based on the base view, you don't seem to have a wide sill or excessive alar flare

Nasal sill reduction and breathing

+1

A conservative alar based reduction can be performed through a small ¼ inch incision in the lower nasal sill base.  If done conservatively, it should not impair any airflow through the nose.  

Will Repeat Nasal Sill Reduction Impair Breathing

+1

Any nasal sill reduction can reduce breathing, whether it is a primary operation or a revision. Risks are the same. Your surgeon will evaluate your airway before additional surgery.

Yes it may affect your breathing

+1

Based on the photo you provided, you do not need anything done. I agree with all the above comments. I'm not sure that you doctor would agree with you.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Risks of Repeat Nostril Narrowing

+1

Hi lovebug29299,

Yes, repeat nostril narrowing may impair nasal breathing. Other potential risks include but not limited to bleeding, infection, scar, and asymmetry. Based on the single photograph, your nose appears appropriate and balanced currently. Reconsider any further rhinoplasty procedures. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repeat sill excision

+1

You have a narrow tip,repated excision of the nasal sill may certainly result is reperatory problems. Sometimes the enemy of good is the search for perfection.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Repeat nasal sill reduction risks

+1

Yes, excising more tissue from your nasal sill would run the risk of impairing your breathing. It would have the effect of bringing the sidewalls of your nostrils in and changing the aperture of your nostrils.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Photo Indicates Nasal Base is Aesthetically Correct

+1

From the photo, you provided, your nasal base is aesthetically correct and not to wide or flared.  You may want to reconsider bringing the nostrils in any further as this may make your nostrils appear to small.

Nasal sill surgery

+1

Depending upon what is needed to be done, the aperture of your nasal sill may change and cause breathing issues for you.

Repeat Nasal Sill Excision

+1

Hi,

Yes a repeat nasal sill excision may impair your breathing, You may want to reconsider since your nostrils don't look that bad.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS