Repeat Capsular Contracture 4 Years Postop: to Explant with Lift, or Capsulectomy and Continue with Implants?

Hi I am 52 y/o. I had 300 cc silicone implants placed subglandularly 4 years ago. 6 months post op I had open capsulectomy for CC. Now I have CC again. I was a saggy 36B before surgery (from nursing), and flat upper pole. Now I have round hard "stuck on" breasts with a highly visible knuckle at the top and banding in cleavage. Should I go in for another "redo" , or should I get explanted with a breast lift? If I explant with a lift, will my breasts look normal or even attractive?

Recurrent Capsular Contracture

+1

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a recurrence of capsular contracture six months after your first revisional procedure.   It is difficult to make any recommendations without a  physical exam.  Without this assessment, I can address your concerns generically.  I would likely recommend a revisional procedure a place new implants in a virgin implant pocket that ideally has not seen any history of scar tissue (so if your implants are still above the muscle, I would place your new implants under the muscle).  In addition, if you have several capsular contracture again, I might consider utilizing strattice (acellular dermal matrix) to help slow down the process of pathologic capsule formation.  Please see a board certified PS with extensive revisional breast surgery experience.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

+1

Best advice is to see a plastic surgeon who feels comfortable and experienced in redo breast surgery to review your options.

A revision in which the implants are moved to the submuscular position, possibly with the use of acellular dermal matrix (Strattice) is more likely to resolve you contracture problem than the operation you had 3.5 years ago. 

An explant with a lift is more likely to resolve the capsule problem, but may not give you a satisfactory size and therefore appearance. An examination with a surgeon can help you through the decision process.