Surgeon Said Diastasis Surgery is Too Big a Surgery and Only Repairing Umbilical Hernia. Is This Ok?

I had 2 pregnancies,I now have diastasis & ombillic hernia. general surgeon will not repair diastasis but only hernia. Surgeon thinks the diastasis surgery is a too big surgery. Will reparing only hernia ok.... Is there a bigger chance of reccurrence if diastasis not repair? Thank you

For Diastasis repair, you need a plastic surgeon

+1

Hi there-

I suspect part of the problem is that you have only received an opinion from a general surgeon to date...

If repair of your diastasis at the time of hernia repair is important to you, I would suggest you visit a well-trained plastic surgeon, who could do both for you.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Hernia repair is covered, diastasis repair is 'cosmetic'

+1

Diastasis repair can certainly be done as a part of a tummy tuck after pregnancy.  If you are seeing a general surgeon instead of a plastic surgeon, he/she may be offering a hernia repair only as they don't do tummy tucks.  If you have excess skin on your abdomen, a tummy tuck may be an option at which time your hernia and diastasis can be repaired.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Diastasis and umbilical hernia repair

+1
I think the inquiry should be whether your Canadian insurance coverage includes the diastasis. Our US insurers consider it to be cosmetic. If you are being treated for the umbilical hernia by a general surgeon, then you may want to consider seeing a board certified plastic surgeon with respect to the diastasis on an elective, cosmetic basis.

Diastasis repair is part of tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

The umbilical hernia can be repaired by itself.  See a plastic surgeon if you also want repair of the diastasis recti.

Correction of Rectus Diastasis

+1

Please see a board certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeon before you proceed with any surgery.   It sounds like you would benefit from a tummy tuck with correction of your rectus diastasis.

Umbilical hernia and diastasis surgery

+1

Umbilical hernias are usually fixed through a small incision near the navel, and these are usually done by general surgeons. They seldom repair diastasis because they are not symptomatic, the repairs are considered cosmetic, and they require larger incisions. 

Plastic surgeons often repair diastasis rectus as part of a tummy tuck. We already have a fairly large incision and have ready access to do this repair, and it adds to the cosmetic improvement for the patient. 

There is no reason to suspect that there would be an increased rate of recurrence of an umbilical hernia repair related to the presence of separation of the rectus muscles (disatasis).