Is Repairing Umbilical Hernia an Additional Fee with a Tummy Tuck?

I am planning a tummy tuck within the 6/9 months, I have selected my Plastic Surgeon here in Oklahoma City. I received a price, but I am not sure if that includes repairing my hernia. What does the fee generally cover? I am also sure I will need some lipo on my back area, is the lower and upper back considered to seperate area's/with seperate fee's? Dr. Brou, was suppose to do my breast reduction several years ago but he had hand surgery and referred me to another PS I wish I had waited for him!

Check your surgeons policies on combining cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries

+2

This is an important question you have to ask the surgeon you are planning on having your surgery with. If you have an insurance coverage maybe the umbilical hernia repair could be covered by your insurance. You need to check if that particular procedure will be covered by you plan. Talk to your physician to check his policy about cosmetic and insurance cases and the combination of it. Anyway tummy tuck and umbilical hernia repair are two separate procedures and you can expect two separate fees for it. As for the liposuction of the back it usually considered separate procedure from the tummy tuck but policies may vary between surgeons. All these questions should be settled before your surgery

Umbilical Hernia with Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I am sure every plastic surgeon's office has a different policy regarding reimbursement for umbilical hernia repairs;  you will have to check with your specific plastic surgeon for a accurate answer.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Hernia repair can be included in tummy tuck

+1

You will have to ask your plastic surgeon specifically if his tummy tuck includes hernia repair and how much it is to add back liposuction for the upper and lower back. Each surgeon's fee schedule is different. Best of luck.

What Is and what is NOT included in Cosmetic Surgery?

+1

As regards - "Is Repairing Umbilical Hernia an Additional Fee with a Tummy Tuck?" - Every Plastic surgeon and every geographic area has different trends in how they bill and how much they charge for Plastic Surgery. You are about to pay a considerable amount of money for this surgery. There is NO reason you should feel reluctant to ask and be clear on what you are paying for. You should know from the start what the surgery estimate would be, what EXACTLY will be done for you, who pays and how much should you require additional surgery for complications etc.

Repairing an umbilical hernia at the time of a Tummy Tuck is not a lot of extra work; Some surgeons do not bill for it, others bill it to your insurer.

It appears you may also benefit from liposuction of the back and flanks. It could be done at the same time as the tummy tuck or at a later period.

Discuss ALL of this with your surgeon. He should welcome all questions and your involvement.

What is included in the fee for Tummy Tuck

+1

Each doctor is different in what they consider "included" in the fees for a tummy tuck. I personally always include the necessary liposuction of the upper back (bra line) and also the flanks, but some charge extra for this. Also, it is common to encounter an umbilical hernia at the time of surgery. If you know about htis hernia ahead of time, you need to ask your doctor if the repair is considered "included".  I usually submit the charge for any hernia repairs to the patient's insurance company.  I recommend seeing your surgeon again and asking about what is considered "included" so that there is no confusion later on.

Know what is included with your tummy tuck

+1

Some surgeons will repair an umbilical hernia with a tummy tuck, and some will accept insurance for portions that are medically necessary. Liposuction over the hip is commonly included, while the back and flank are not. The bottom line is a discussion with your surgeon to know just what is included and what to expect from your procedure.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck