Repair Xiphoid During a Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

My first Pregnancy was one BIG baby for my little body. He completely stretched out my tummy skin and also managed to break my xiphoid. It now sticks out a bit. Not to noticeable but its annoying to feel it moving around. I plan to get a Tummy tuck. However while researching the topic is seems like a common issue is a post-op broken xiphoid that sticks out. Is is likely I can find a Doctor willing to repair/remove mine while they perform the TT?

Xiphoid repair and tummy tuck

+1

Yes it is possible. But you do run the risk of a slightly higher infection rate when you combine procedures. Your thoracic surgeon has to coordinate with your plastic surgeon.   Your health is a major determinant ,and safety, not expediency should be the first concern.

Xyphoid repair with an abdominoplasty

+1

Timing and planning of multiple surgical procedures is a common question and patient concern.  Combining an abdominoplasty with a partial resection of the xyphoid bone is an unusual request.  It is possible that you may want to involve a thoracic surgeon in the planning.    As long as you are in good physical health and have no overriding medical conditions you should be a good candidate. With this combination the highest priority has to be safety and the prevention of DVT and PE.

Xiphoid exposed at tummy tuck

+1

At the time of abdominoplasty the surgeon dissects to the level of the xiphoid.  If there is an abnormality encountered at that time, it can be corrected.  If it is a bony fragment or cartilage it can be resected and this would only add about 15 minutes to the OR time with minimal additional cost (less than $1,000).

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Xyphoid Prominence and Tummy Tucks

+1

As my colleagues have mentioned, removing or diminishing the xyphoid can be one at your tummy tuck.  It would certainly be easier to do if you accepted a vertical scar/anchor abdominoplasty but  approaching it from a traditional tummy scar is certainly doable.  You should discuss your desires with your chosen surgeon and he/she should be able to help you improve this problem.

Curtis Wong, MD

Broken Xyphoid

+1

A prominent xyphoid process due to pregnancy and more commonly from a previous operation is easily managed during an abdominoplasty. It is easily resected using a special clamp and followed by suturing of the space. Care needs to be taken not to enter the abdomen or chest.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

Xiphoid Reduction During Tummy Tuck

+1

It is fairly uncommon to see a prominent xiphoid tip as part of the upper abdominal bulge. But it is fairly easy to solve that problem as the dissection of the upper abdominal flap for the muscle repair goes right up to the lower end of the sternum. Trimming of the cartilaginous or bony tip of the xiphoid process is easily done. It does cause some persistent tenderness in that area for some time after surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Xiphoid repair

+1

you are indeed an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. I believe it would be possible to do some corrective work on the Xiphoid at the same time which would involve removing some of the cartilage so that it doesn't stick out any more.  I would probably just shave down the prominent part a bit.  What exactly would be done woulddepend on what I find on physical exam and at the time of surgery, but feel it can be done safely.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Xyfoid bone tip correction and TT yes may be realized/ extirpacion de punta de xyfoide y TT si puede realizarse conjuntamente

+1

during a TT surgery we normally arrive to xyfoide, so it is possible to remove it properly so please do not worry is a normal procedure for any certifiedand and ASAPS member

si se puede realizar la extripacion de la punta del xyfoides mediante la lipectomia y liposuccion conjuntamente, asi que no se preocupe  siempre y cuando su cirujano este  certificado y miembro activo de la ASAPS

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Repair Xiphoid During a Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Typically the dissection for a tummy tuck goes right up to the xiphoid, and it should not be a problem for your surgeon to trim the protruding portion of the bone throught the main incision. When you are calling around to set up consultations, ask the receptionist to verify with the surgeon that the doc is capable of doing that part of the procedure.

Thanks and best wishes