Is It Possible to Repair Upper Diastasis Recti Through the Breast?

Muscles were not repaired all the way up during initial abdominoplasty, so surgeon is now recommending he use a scope and go thru breast to fix the upper 1/4 he didnt do. He says it is easier on him and me?? Will I still need drainage tubes?My stomach has rounded pregnant appearance now and NEVER did b4 baby AT SAME WEIGHT or even b4 surgery. Will this help that?

SEE VIDEO BELOW for repair of upper abdominal diastasis

+2

In patients who have minimal skin laxity, I have repaired the upper rectus through a fiberoptic approach via the umbilicus. Only limited repair is achievable and I did not use a drain. The first patient in this video shows an example of this and I call it the micro tummy tuck. This could be performed thorugh the breast crease. I have used an open approach from the top when performing a reverse abdominoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Repair rectus diastasis through the breast? Um, no.

+2

A surgeon who did not fix the upper part of the abdomen during a tummy tuck now wants to go through the breast and reach the muscles that way?  That does not make much sense to me.  Why did the surgeon not fix it when it was open and easy to see?  Something is fishy here.

Upper abdomen tightening through breasts

+2

If your surgeon is willing to do it through the breast with a scope, which personally I never heard of, why doesn't he just do it through an endoscopic abdominal approach?

Tummy tuck

+1

Almost anything is possible!  The question is whether it is an effective way.  I suggest a better approach through the belly button.  This can be with or without an endoscope.

Not a common approach

+1

Like the others, I have not heard of this approach. 

For some patients, particularly post-bariatric surgery, an upper or reverse abdominoplasty can be performed.  In this procedure, the incision under the breasts is used to help remove some of the additional abdominal skin in the upper abdomen.  This access or approach could also then be used to repair the rectus muscles as well. 

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Breast approach to repairing diastasis

+1

I’ve not heard of this technique/method to repair a diastasis. If one were to repair a diastasis endoscopically, it would seem to me to be much simpler and more readily accomplished through a transumbilical (through the naval) approach.

Repairing diastasis through breast incision.

+1

Most procedures which give uniformly good results, are safe and effective are quickly used by other surgeons and are widely known.  I have never heard of repairing the upper part of a diastasis this way.  It seems a more direct route would be through the upper part of the belly button scar via an endoscope.  That way, no new scars are added to the abdomen and no scars are put on the breast.  Perhaps an additional consultation may shed light on options.