What Can Be Done to Repair my Neck/facelift? (photo)

I'm 72. In June, 2012, I had a neck & lower face lift & liposuction on neck. After, there was a lumpy area under my chin. My doctor said to wait nine months. My lips were stretched , but within two weeks, that had improved. However, it's continued to come undone - my jowls, lines from nose and mouth, neck wrinkles are reappearing (about 50% undone) and under chin is much worse. Two PS said I had good skin elasticity. What can be done? An in-office procedure? Should I trust the same doctor? Help!

This needs revision

+4

Opening the original facelift incisions and submental incision and redraping the skin is the only way forward here.

Good luck!

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Neck / Facelift Procedures

+3
It is difficult to truly assess what is happening, but it appears like the skin under the chin (submental region) has become attached to the underlying muscle, and as the surrounding facial skin droops it is causing that lumpy appearance.  You likely will benefit from some type of revision procedure, in which the skin and perhaps underlying deeper tissue is returned to a more desirable aesthetic position.  One question - prior to  your surgery, did you have any significant weight loss?

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Neck and Face lifting

+2

The advice you have already received seems on the mark. The only thing I can add is that you should be careful not to fall in the minimal surgery conundrum. This means do not listen to anyone who thinks this can repaired by anterior undermining and a submental incision. Your bands may or may not be platysmal and actually look like skin bands to me. A complete undermining with special care to tighten, drastically, the neck skin with both pressure bandages and drains probably necessary for smoothness of the redraped skin and to make sure no fluid collections mar the early result. For a young 72 you have had enough go wrong so choose your  real Board Certified Plastic Surgeon carefully.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Corrective Face/Neck Lifting

+2

This is a good question – and I am sorry that you have to ask it.  Any irregularities after facelift and neck surgery should be resolved by your stage of healing. What is most important, with relation to your question, is that you can have a markedly improved result. This would require an additional surgical procedure, in an operating room, to correct residual skin left behind and the asymmetry of the neck fat removal.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Facelift result

+2

Based on your photo, you have contracting scrs in the neck and prominence of your muscle bands. In my past, you can release the scar and tighten the muscle for improvement. discuss this with your surgeon. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift revision can be effective way to improve neck contour

+2

You appear to have adhesion of scar with surrounding neck skin laxity. I imagine that your neck was relatively heavy and lax prior to surgery. I would advocate for revision of face and neck lift to release submental scar and redrape the skin excess that you have. This can be fixed, but its going to require an operation.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Revision Facelift and Necklift is needed

+2

Dear Polishmama, You will need a full revision facelift and neck lift similar to the original surgery. You need to have these  areas undermined and the skin needs to be resuspended to smooth out this area under the chin and neck. I would suggest a second opinion as well as discussing your concerns with your previous treating physician. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Excess skin after a facelift will require formal revision.

+2

The neck generally does quite well after a facelift. This requires however adequate mobilization of the skin, advancement, and removal. The contour problems of your neck will require another operation. They are correctable.

Facelift Revision is another Facelift

+2

Now that you have reached the point of maximal rebound skin relaxation, you can consider a facelift revision for improvement. That revision would essentially consist of a near repeat of the original facelift proceure as all the skin flaps must be remobilized and resuspended to smooth out all of these problem areas.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Facelift and Neck lift Revision #facelift

+2

You waited like we tell all of our patients what I would consider the right amount of time. The good news is this can be fixed. The bad news is you would likely need a facelift and neck lift done all over again. It is critical to tighten the deeper structures to give the proper lifting effect then re-draping the skin over the underlying work without tension. You do seem to have excess skin that could be re-draped much better. I would seek another opinion from someone who is known in your area to do really good work.

Richard J. Brown, MD