What Can Be Done to Repair my Neck/facelift? (photo)

I'm 72. In June, 2012, I had a neck & lower face lift & liposuction on neck. After, there was a lumpy area under my chin. My doctor said to wait nine months. My lips were stretched , but within two weeks, that had improved. However, it's continued to come undone - my jowls, lines from nose and mouth, neck wrinkles are reappearing (about 50% undone) and under chin is much worse. Two PS said I had good skin elasticity. What can be done? An in-office procedure? Should I trust the same doctor? Help!

This needs revision

Opening the original facelift incisions and submental incision and redraping the skin is the only way forward here.

Good luck!

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Neck / Facelift Procedures

It is difficult to truly assess what is happening, but it appears like the skin under the chin (submental region) has become attached to the underlying muscle, and as the surrounding facial skin droops it is causing that lumpy appearance.  You likely will benefit from some type of revision procedure, in which the skin and perhaps underlying deeper tissue is returned to a more desirable aesthetic position.  One question - prior to  your surgery, did you have any significant weight loss?

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Neck and Face lifting

The advice you have already received seems on the mark. The only thing I can add is that you should be careful not to fall in the minimal surgery conundrum. This means do not listen to anyone who thinks this can repaired by anterior undermining and a submental incision. Your bands may or may not be platysmal and actually look like skin bands to me. A complete undermining with special care to tighten, drastically, the neck skin with both pressure bandages and drains probably necessary for smoothness of the redraped skin and to make sure no fluid collections mar the early result. For a young 72 you have had enough go wrong so choose your  real Board Certified Plastic Surgeon carefully.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

Corrective Face/Neck Lifting

This is a good question – and I am sorry that you have to ask it.  Any irregularities after facelift and neck surgery should be resolved by your stage of healing. What is most important, with relation to your question, is that you can have a markedly improved result. This would require an additional surgical procedure, in an operating room, to correct residual skin left behind and the asymmetry of the neck fat removal.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift result

Based on your photo, you have contracting scrs in the neck and prominence of your muscle bands. In my past, you can release the scar and tighten the muscle for improvement. discuss this with your surgeon. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Revision Facelift and Necklift is needed

Dear Polishmama, You will need a full revision facelift and neck lift similar to the original surgery. You need to have these  areas undermined and the skin needs to be resuspended to smooth out this area under the chin and neck. I would suggest a second opinion as well as discussing your concerns with your previous treating physician. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Excess skin after a facelift will require formal revision.

The neck generally does quite well after a facelift. This requires however adequate mobilization of the skin, advancement, and removal. The contour problems of your neck will require another operation. They are correctable.

Facelift Revision is another Facelift

Now that you have reached the point of maximal rebound skin relaxation, you can consider a facelift revision for improvement. That revision would essentially consist of a near repeat of the original facelift proceure as all the skin flaps must be remobilized and resuspended to smooth out all of these problem areas.

Facelift and Neck lift Revision #facelift

You waited like we tell all of our patients what I would consider the right amount of time. The good news is this can be fixed. The bad news is you would likely need a facelift and neck lift done all over again. It is critical to tighten the deeper structures to give the proper lifting effect then re-draping the skin over the underlying work without tension. You do seem to have excess skin that could be re-draped much better. I would seek another opinion from someone who is known in your area to do really good work.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Facelift Revision

I am sorry you are having these problems - your one month picture looks so great!  I don't know why you have some recurring jowling and neck laxity (excess neck skin/sagging) so quickly after your surgery - but I do think it can be fixed with a revision.  Unfortunately this will require further surgery, but you do not have to go all the way to sleep for it, you can do light sedation which makes for an easier recovery.  I agree with your surgeon that you needed to wait this long for the swelling to go away, but I think you can safely undergo a revision at this point.  Good luck!