Repair Lip Scar from a Bad Cold Sore

I get Cold Sores/Herpes on my lip. As a child I use to get them frequently, today I treat them with Valtrex and Acyclovir cream, the minute I feel the itch I take the blue pill and its gone or a small one comes out and heals much faster. Unfortunately I have one annoying scar from childhood. I don't mind the scar under the lip, It's the half circle on my lip that took away the RED color and left a pale circle for all to see. Can this be repaired?

Scar revision

+3

What appears to make this scar noticeable is the color difference. Therefore I would suggest a medical grade tattoo to camouflage the scar. You have to find the right tattooist. The common tattooist that draws anchors etc. is not appropriate for this type of work.

Fixing a bad lip scar with laser and lip scar surgery

+2

Most lip scars can be repaired using layered closure techniques followed by fractional co2 laser, used judiciously.  Care must be taken to avoid recurrence of your cold sore with laser.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS