Repair of the Diastatis with Laparoscopic Approch?

I have had one child but have a SMALL buldge in my lower abd. This is not a hernia and moves side to side when I bend sideways. It has been diagnosed as diastatis. I do not have loose skin and am 111 pounds. I do not want to do a tummy tuck as I do not have the loose skin. Is their any way I could do a Laparoscopic repair of diastasis recti with a laparoscopic incission?

Diastasis repair

+1

An endoscopic abdominoplasty was basically a repaire of the diastasis with limited incisions.  It wounds like you could be a candidate. It requires very specific equipment to perform this procedure, and I do not think many surgeons do it.

Laparoscopic Endoscopic Repair of Tummy Muscle Separation

+1

Muscle Separation (Diastasis) endoscopic repair had a short lived popularity in the early 1990's when Plastic surgeons attempted to use endoscopic techniques to many cosmetic surgery procedures. It never became popular because of the instrumentation, the skills required and frankly the results were not great. I am not aware of any surgeon who performs this operation these days, much less does no regularly.

Few women would qualify for it since the existence of any loose abdominal skin will be made more obvious when the underlying muscles are brought together. You may want to look into a modification of a Mini-Tummy Tuck technique which would produce better results.

Dr. Aldea

Diastasis recti muscle repair performed Laparascopically.

+1

Yes this has been done in the past and is called a endocorporeal repair of the diastasis recti. It is more commonly performed by general surgeons and although it CAN be done, it will be difficult to find a surgeon who will perform it as they typically do not believe it lasts. It probably has more risks than a traditional muscle repair because it involves entering the peritoneal cavity. However, I am not aware of a study that has compared the two. Endoscopic or fiberoptic assisted repair is probably your best option for a limited incision.

Laparoscopic repair of diastasis

+1

Although the laparoscope is not as commonly used these days for simple repair of the diastasis, you can have the repair performed through a limited supra-pubic incision. However, the more tightening of the muscle you require, the more the soft tissues overlying the muscle will get distorted. Because of the bunching up of the fat and skin, liposuction or redistribution of the soft tissue will often need to be done as well.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD