Are drains necessary after a BBL? How many days do drains need to be in for after BBL?

I am thinking of traveling for my BBL but I do not what to stay too long wherever I am traveling to. The doctor I am looking at uses drains. Ive seen doctors that don't use drains.

BBL and drains

+1
I personally do not usually use drains after a BBL. Some surgeons use it for procedures that use heating devices like the vaser of laser lipolysis machines.

5-7 Days

+1
There is fluid that tends to build up in the body -  as we have just created space with the removed fat cells. So to improve the recovery period and to remove the excess fluid I keep drains in for 5-7 days. My inclination to remove the drains is once they reap less than 30CCs. This is a measure to raise the success rate and perfect your new look.

My recommendation is that you find an ASPS board certified surgeon in your area who specializes in the BBL, and set up an in person consult. An in person consult with an an ASPS board certified surgeon is the only way to determine the best route for your body and your goals.

Constantino G. Mendieta, MD

Are drains necessary after a BBL?

+1
Drains are not normally necessary after a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) which is, as is increasingly well known and understood, more accurately termed fat injections (transplants) to the buttocks.  Fat is removed from one part of the body, prepared for injection (a process that often includes concentrating the fat using centrifugal force) and then injecting it into the buttocks.  As with other forms of fat transplantation, drains are not normally used (drains are more typically used when there is empty space, particularly around an implant).  

That being said, there are many things more important than whether or not drains are used, and if you're comfortable with your board-certified surgeon and the ONLY concern is the use of drains you can most likely proceed in confidence with the doctor you're chosen.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E
Member of RealSelf 100

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

+1
Drains are not necessary after BBL, but you will find that each surgeon tends to use what he/she learned about the procedure or what they think works for them. I personally do not use drains, but I insist on daily massage of the areas above the buttocks, mainly the lower back, waist  and upper back to get the serous fluid out. I also use foam compression of these areas to further enhance the results. Although the back massage is tender right after surgery, this must be done. I often instruct my patients and their care givers on how to do this effectively. Conversely, a certified massage therapist can assist you if your care giver is squeamish. See a board certified plastic surgeon who understands and recognizes the beautiful normal to create your best possible BBL. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

+1

Some surgeons use drains on their patients i feel this practice not to be necessary. 
Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

+1
I do not use drains.  Most of my out of town patients stay in town from 3 to 7 days depending upon multiple factors.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts and liposuction procedures each year. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.