Removing Tape After Minor Procedure on Columella

2 days ago I had a small procedure done in the hope that it would improve the appearance of hanging columella. The surgeon removed only 3mm from my septum and has taped my nose up with instructions for the tape to remain on for 10 days. My question is: is this really necessary, and if so why?

Does the tape need to stay on after rhinoplasty?

+1

I would recommend that you leave the tape in place as recommended by your surgeon.  You want the nose to heal up properly and by keeping the tape in place, you help ensure that things will heal properly and also help reduce the amount of swelling you have.

Good luck!

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you don't follow directions, don't be surprised by poor results

+1

Most Surgeons (myself included) are very specific about instructions because of accumulated experience. I strongly recommend that you follow these instructions to a Tee.  My opinion is that the tape is necessary and should be left in place.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Leave tape in place after columella elevation surgery!

+1

Follow your doctor's directions! Your doctor used tape to assist the healing process by keeping the tissues approximated. This facilitates better final position, less scar tissue, and better results. In addition to sutures, most surgeons use surgical glues, tape, Steri-strips, clear adhesive dressings, bandages, and/or compression as part of any surgical procedure. If you interfere with your doctor's plan and tape recommendations, you may damage your result! Then you will be upset, may need repeat surgery, and will want your surgeon to "fix it" for free. Follow your doctor's directions!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hanging columella

+1

One way to treat a hanging columella is to resect some of the membranous or cartilaginous septum. Taping is done to keep things in position and in some cases to assist in redraping of the overlying soft tissue envelope.  Follow your surgeon's instructions.

Can I remove my nasal tape after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear patient from Saint Helier,
Since you had a columallar elevation by caudal septum (bottom of septum) resection, you need to leave the tape on as recommended by your surgeon. This will help columella to reattach to the septum

Web reference: http://www.orangecountynosejob.com