Removing a Small/flat Like Mole That Appeared Directly on my Lip? (photo)

I have a very small round/flat mole that appear directly on my upper lip a couple nights ago. I wanted to get it removed. What would be the best method and is there any scarring for a mole that small?

Benign Growths On The Lips Respond Well To Scalpel Sculpting & Radiowaves

+1

From the history of rapid growth, a mole, which represents a benign overgrowth of pigment cells, is unlikely. A wart, which is a virus infection, is a more likely possibility. That having been said, both diagnosis and treatment can be accomplished at the same time by numbing the growth with a topical and local anesthetic and then sculpting the surface off with a scalpel(down to being flush with the contours of the surrounding normal lip)-- a process known as scalpel sculpting--and sending the resulting specimen to the laboratory to obtain a definitive diagnosis. I would also lightly treat the base of the lesion--to eliminate any residual cells--with radiowaves (radiosurgery) to minimize the chance of recurrence of the growth. I am not a big fan of freezing with liquid nitrogen in this site owing to the lack of control of depth and spread of the freezing and the possibility of causing a permanent off-colored scar in such a prominent, visible site. Consultation with a board certified dermatologist with extensive experience in treating lips is strongly advised.

New growth on lip

+1

It's always difficult to diagnose a skin lesion based on a photograph, but it's more likely that your growth is a wart, not a mole. If so, cryosurgery with liquid nitrogen would be the best treatment. You should be evaluated by a dermatologist for both diagnosis and treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon