Removing Skin and Muscle for Upper Lip Lift, or Just Skin?

May i ask what is the difference between the method of only removing the skin and removal of both skin and muscle for upper lip lift ? Does removing muscle cause any damage to the upper lip that would result in lost of sensation, control, movement etc?

Only skin is removed when upper lip lift is done.

+2

Only the skin is removed with the lip lift.  Removing muscle would cause movement problems.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Subnasal Lip Lift

+1

Removing skin only in the subnasal lip lift has been quite successful with long lasting results.  I can see no advantage to removing muscle, but I do not think that it would likely create major problems if muscle was removed.

Keith A. LaFerriere, MD
Springfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip shortening

+1

Placement of the incision for lip shortening is most important. Usualy the muscle is not removed, only skin is removed. If some superficial fibers of the muscle is removed there should be no interferance in function or sensation.