Removing Scalp Mole - Freezing?

little smaller than a pencil eraser and in located on the top right side of my scalp about an inch above my hair line. Its covered by my hair. but lately it has been painful and bleeds, its always been a pale color with a little bit of red to it I have had other moles removed from my neck by being froze. can i do this for the scalp mole? Not worried about scaring,considering its completely covered by my hair. But i am scared it will be painful,cause more problems later. can this be froze off?

Treatment of mole

+1

I discourage freezing this lesion.  If it has been painful and bleeding, then it should be evaluated and a shave biopsy should be done.  

Mole frozen removed

+1

If this growth represents a real mole (melanocytic, or made up of melanocytes), it should NOT be frozen. A real mole should be biopsied and sent to a dermatopathologist (a pathologist who specializes in looking at skin biopsies) to make sure it's OK.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Do not freeze this mole

+1

Please consult a dermatologist with this mole. You will be told if this mole may be dangerous. Then it should be removed and sent to the lab.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

I would not have this mole frozen

+1

If it is painful and bleeding, that lesion needs to be sent off for a pathologist to evaluate it.   A dermatologist can simply shave this off in few minutes to take care of this for you.  I would not recommend freezing this lesion with the symptoms that you describe. 

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon