Removing a raised mole on face. What is the best cosmetic result that will leave me with no scar? Who do I see?

I'm a 33 y/o male and have a flesh colored raised mole that sits by the corner of my nose. I have had this mole since about 10 years old. I would love to have this removed with no scaring and achieve the best cosmetic results possible being it's on my face. I have a couple hairs that grow out of it. One time when pulling the hairs, It bled for 30 min before stopping. It was very minor bleeding but I had to put cayenne pepper on it to finally stop it. What is the best way to remove this?

Removal of a raised mole on face

+1

I would say the best option to remove a raised mole is to have it shaved off. This should produce the least amount of scar and give you a good result.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimizing a scar from a mole removal

+1

The trick to any type of mole removal is to minimize the scarring as much as possible. Remember here that something is being removed... so there is likely to be some type of mark, albeit minimal, left behind - that's the essence of the word removal. Based on your photo I would think a shave biopsy could be done, where no sutures will be needed. If you follow good post-care I would expect a slight pink mark for a bit, but overall no large long-term divet, scar, or mark.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

How to remove a raised mole on the face

+1

Depending on their size and location, facial moles can be easily removed by one of two methods. One is a "shave excision" where the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The other is an excision with suture closure which uses both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scar using the proper technique.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon