Will Removing my 650/700cc Sub Muscular Saline Mentors Help Reduce or Eliminate my Chronic Neck and Upper Thoracic Pain? (photo)

I have had large implants for about 10 years. They caused me no pain or discomfort until about 4 years ago after I was in an accident. since this time I have had chronic unrelenting neck sub scapular upper thoracic pain. I have had many teats treatments MRI's Xrays etc. The results are always nothing wrong except some straightening of my cervical spine. So my question is: I am preparing to explant in hopes of reducing/eliminating my pain. Is this wise or am I going through this for nothing?

Ultimate Breast Lift combined with Explant

The photograph you provided shows you have very large implants that have descended and are pointing outward.  You would definitley benefit from implant removal and lifting your remaining breast tissue.  I recommend explantation with a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift.  This technique transfers the weight of the breast to the underlying pectoralis major muscle and helps relieve pain.  Your implants weigh approximately 3 lbs and this should improve your symptoms.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

14887 Southwest Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77478

Implant removal

Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure if removing the implants will improve your symptoms.  However, I think the implants were much too large to begin with.  If you are truly miserable with the pain, only you can decide whether it is worth a try, realizing there is a good possibility of relief but no guarantee.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

9339 Genesse Avenue
San Diego, CA 92121-2119

Previous History of Trauma, Large Implants, and Back Pain

WIth a history of trauma, the spine and pain issues may be helped with a reduction in breast implant size.  I am not sure that anyone can predict how much this pain can be improved with reduction in breast size.  It may be reasonable to perform a small reduction first to evaluate the effect, before committing yourself to something more dramatic, which may require a breast lift as well.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Breast implant removal

This may or may not help.  Your pain is because of the accident not the implants, but the heavy implants might be making your pain worse.  There is no way to know for sure, unless you remove the implants.  Make sure you are wearing a proper bra with good support, and that you have good posture.  

Dennis Dass, MD

8929 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Will Removing my 650/700cc Sub Muscular Saline Mentors Help Reduce or Eliminate my Chronic Neck and Upper Thoracic Pain?

This is a damn if you do and damn if you don't issue. Very very hard to predict outcomes in this situation. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Explantation for back / neck pain

Unfortunately, I can't tell you that removing the implants will definitely take care of your pain.  The pain may be related to your accident alone.  If you want to have the implants removed that's fine but understand you will be very empty and sagging for some time and will probably want a lift with small implants about a year later when everything settles and softens.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

1905 Clint Moore Rd.
Boca Raton, FL 33496

Implants and neck and back pain

Certainly large implants could impact your neck and back similarly as it occurs with naturally large breasted women.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Large breast implants and neck/back pain

Verry large breasts naturally, or as a result of augmentation mammoplasty with large implants ( 500 ml or more) could put additional load on cervico-thorasic spine. It is our experience that reduction mammoplasty or reducing  implant sizes would definitley give some relief to the patients who have neck pain and back pains. Since there are many other factors ( such as trauma and changes in spine ) contributing to the frequency and severity of back pain,the degree of pain relief, after reducing implant size, could not be predicted. I suggest that you proceed with the operation as long as you lower your expectation. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

500 Osborne Rd
Fridley, MN 55432

There are women with large breasts whose symptoms of back and neck pain improve with breast reduction. No one can accurately predict the outcome in an individual case. The fact that the implants clearly caused no problems before your accident does make me a bit pessimistic that removing the implants will improve your symptoms. 

You are addressing plastic surgeons, whose only way of treating back pain is reducing breast size, so I am not sure you will get a response that truly reflects the realities of your situation. Your back specialist should also discuss this possibility with you. 

Thanks, best wishes. 

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004