Removing Vertical Lip Lines Product Advice

Twenty years ago, I had dermabrasion for vertical lip lines. One line was "erased" forever. There is now a small indentation where it used to be. I have tried everything else over the years, to fill the remaining lines, which have deepened, of course, with age. The last time, my doctor tried something (Sculptesse, maybe) that cost $1000. It didn't do significantly more than other treatments. Is there anything better you can recommend?

Dermabrasion for vertical lip lines

+2

I would consider using a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm or Restylane.  It can give you an excellent result.  It may only last one year but with aging, most procedures require maintenance treatments and it is quite simple and inexpensive to repeat.

Toronto Dermatologist

Removing vertical lip lines

+2

Dermabrasion may erase the line but leave behind atrophic (flattened or depressed skin) or hypopigmentation (permanent loss of pigment) skin.  Artefill is the only FDA approved permanent filler in the U.S.  Silicone is also permanent but is not FDA approved.  The safest fillers to use around the lip are the hyaluronic acids such as Restylane or Juvederm but they also wear off the fastest.  Sculptra is poly-L-lactic acid which lasts about 1 to 1.5 years.  The fillers would all look pretty similar in terms of results but the difference is in how long they last.

M. Christine Lee, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Removing vertical lip line wrinkles...

+2

Removing vertical lip line wrinkles can be effectively reduced using dermabrasion. It is important that the dermabrasion be performed down to the correct layer or effective removal of the wrinkles will not be achieved.  The lighter procedures, such as chemical peel, will not remove the wrinkles fully.  After the healing process the skin is rejuvenated and the lip wrinkles are less visible leaving a smooth more youthful appearance.  There is also the option of using fillers such as Juvederm or Radiesse, but these are often a temporary fix and are done by injection.  Consult your surgeon to see what option is best for you. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depressed scar after dermabrasion

+1

For such a focal (well-circumscribed) area, my treatment of choice would be Silikon 1000 in divided treatment sessions.  It should not be particularly costly.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion for lip lines

+1

Dermabrasion is an effective technique for recontouring the face and resurfacing the skin around the lips. Dermabrasion works by sending down the superficial layers of skin until the deeper layers are reached. It is these deep structures that will allow the skin to regenerate in a smoother and tighter fashion. If you have a persistent line, you may only require dermabrasion to that one area.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Correction of a lip line and permanent depression

+1

There are a variety of fillers and each physician has their preferences based on their experience.

The vast majority of fillers will last in the 1 year range.

Some physicians are willing to inject Silikon 1000 which is considered permanent but is an off-label use of the product. This is currently the only product which may give permanent (good or bad) results.

Significant depressions could be filled with fat. Althernatively skin and fat from scar donor sites could be used as an implant.

Other biologic fillers or implants are available.

Contemplate a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options.