Removing a large mole on the head in a way that it won't keep hair from regrowing? (photo)

My son has a mole on his head (1 cm wide), which he's had for many years (he's 14). It's slightly raised in the middle and redder, but brown on the edges. He wants it removed for cosmetic reason (when hair is wet it sometimes shows). Which procedure will fully remove it (not just level it), WITHOUT keeping the hair from going back in that area? A "hole" in the hair will make him just as self conscious. It's been checked by a dermatologist who said the mole looks non cancerous. Thank you!

Removing a large mole on the head

+1

The good news is that when I remove scalp nevi (moles) I will usually use a "shave excision" method. The mole is actually "shaved off" at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective and leaves a minimal scar. The hair follicles are not harmed and any hair that is shaved off with the mole will quickly regrow. The procedure typically takes less than a minute, and is fairly painless. Moles that are removed in this fashion will rarely recur enough to be bothersome. If they do, they can always be excised and sutured at that time, but this rarely happens.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/general-dermatology/wart-removal/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon