What to Expect when Removing Large Breast Implants?

I'm 25, no stretch marks, went from a 36C at 18 yrs old, to a 34DD-DDD now. I want to remove them, but of course I don't want to be left with lifeless saggy bags.

Down-sizing breast implants can be complicated

+1

Thanks for your question. Large breast implants can distort and thin the overlying breast tissue. When the large implants are removed and smaller ones put in, the stretched breast tissue tends to "sag" over the front of the implant and often a breast lift is required to place the nipple in the correct position. This involves scars around the nipple and usually on the front of the lower pole of the breast. It is important that you see an experienced plastic surgeon for this procedure - it can be tricky. If you are thinking of removing the implants altogether, this can be done as a two stage procedure to give you a more reliable result, with the implants being removed at the first procedure, let everything settle and then do the breast lift at a later time. I hope this helps.

Australia Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

+1

Hi,

It is hard to say exactly without examining you, but in general, the implants have probably stretched the skin and thinned the tissue. If you take out the implants, most likely you will have more sagging than you did before. The good news is that you are young and your skin will likely tighten back up to some extent. However, the extent to which it restores itself is impossible to tell. You may or may not require a lift. This will depend on the degree of sagging and the position of your nipple in relation to the crease of your breast.

Best regards.

Sam Speron, MD

Young tissues can be surprisingly elastic.

+1

Hi!

Huge implants age very poorly, so by all means get rid of them. You can consider small breast implants, but you dont have to.

Hard to really tell without examining you, but you probably will not have bad sagging afterwards if you didn't to begin with. If they end too saggy, a breast lift is not a bad operation to do later. But, in any case, you don't want to be a DDD too long.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast appearance after Implant Removal

+1

Over the years, the implants have stretched the skin and thinned the breast tissue. When the implant is removed you will be smaller and saggier than before the implants. Since you do not have stretch marks and are young, it is possible that the tissues will tighten and you will not require a lift.

I would not recommend a lift at the same time as the removal unless, your nipple is well below your fold. It is often amazing how much youthful skin will tighten.

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

You will likely need a lift

+1

Of course it isn't possible to say for certain without examining you, but it sounds as though with the stretching of your tissue by the implant, you might well need a lift after removing the implants. This primarily depends on where the nipple areola are relative to the crease under the breast. You can certainly take the implants out and let the tissues settle and shrink and see if you are happy. If not, you could proceed with the lift. Otherwise, you could do the lift at the time of explantation if it looks for sure as though you will need it.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS