Removing Implants with Permanent Sutures Around Areola

I had implants placed through the areola along with a mastopexy on one breast 6 weeks ago. My areolas have permanent sutures around them. I want to remove my implants cause I'm not happy with them. What happens to the sutures breast and areola? Please help

Removing implants and permanent sutures 6 weeks post op

Hard to say anything without photos.  You are still very early in the post operative course.  You did not tell us why you are not happy.  Too big, (you may still be swollen).  Too high, (you may be in spasm and the implants have not yet fallen).  In any case, one can take them out.  One can also take out the areola suture.  Most plastic surgeons use that stitch so that the areola does not get larger after surgery.  One thing that we recommend is that you don't go back too early.  If you go back early, into an area that is inflamed, that can make the operation more difficult.  Please talk with your board certified plastic surgeon.  Discuss your concerns.

9280 W. Sunset Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89148

Management of permanent sutures in areola with breast implant removal (explantation)

If the permanent sutures are important to maintaining the appearance of the areola then they should be replaced at the time of implant removal. However, your areolae will be less prone to stretching due to the decreased size of the breast.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Breast implants

You probably had a breast augmentation and periareolar lift.

6 weeks is too early to judge. wait at least 3 months before making a decision.

The implants can be removed but the breast shape size will change. Most probably you will not like it and you will need another procedure. The permanent suture can be removed at the time of surgery. See another Board certified plastic surgeon for another opinion. You now have three plastic surgeons opinions. so do not make a hastey decision.

10 East 31 Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Implant removal and permanent sutures

You should probably wait at least a total of 3 months before going back in to remove the implants.  As for the permanent sutures around the areola, they can probably be removed as well.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Implant Removal After 6 weeks?

First off, after having the implants for only 6 weeks, I would give yourself a little more time to get adjusted to everything.  It really takes about three months to fully heal, as well as to mentally feel comfortable with everything.  It is not unusual for some women to be depressed/ dissapointed at varying times in their postoperative period.  In general, if you allow yourself to heal fully, 99.9% of women are happy with the choice they made.  That being said, if you do opt to have the implants removed, the permanent suture could be removed at that time as well without much difficulty.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

1602 Colonial Parkway
Inverness, IL 60067