Will Removing a Hump and Reducing an Overprojected Tip on a Long Nose Make the Nose Look Shorter Vertically? (photo)

I have what i believe to be a long nose with a dorsal hump and overprojected nose, my questions is about how my a hump on the nose plus a over projected can make the nose look bigger illusion wise will removing these things make my nose look shorter vertically? I also heard a hump on the nose can add the illusion of a shorter nose because it breaks the length down, any truth in this?

Removing Nasal Hump and Decreasing Projection

+2

Removing your nasal hump and decreasing the tip projection will give the illusion that your nose is shorter. I do not recommend that your rotate your tip, which will actually shorten the nose, because this will feminize your appearance.

Hump removal for an overly projected tip

+1

Hump removal will only shorten the projection of the nose, not the vertical length. Tilting the tip upwards will shorten the overall length of the nose, which I do not recommend. Virtual imaging software is available on our website for free for you to try out. This will give you a good idea of which are new nose could potentially look like.

Rhinoplasty surgery goals

+1

Rhinoplasty can achieve many different goals.  Certainly a reduction in your nasal hump as well as a refinement in the tip projection will shorten the dorsal profile of your nose.  For a man we like the naso-labial angle to be about 90 degrees.  A woman's nose this angle is more like 100 to 110 degrees.  So there are limits to how short you can make the vertical dorsal profile of your nose.  Computer imaging would be very educational and could help you visualize the potential result.  

Rhinoplasty is about balance and fitting your face

+1

Removing a hump can make a nose look shorter. So can rotating the tip with and without shortening the nose. I really like computer imaging for complex questions like these. It helps to show what the nose could look like with hump removal and with or without tip rotation. The tip projection can also be altered both on the computer and in person if indicated.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Removing the dorsal hump will significantly improve your profile.  The tip can be raised as well.

Rhinoplasty to shorten the nose and remove hump.

+1

A rhinoplasty done by an experienced surgeon will remove the hump and deproject your nose with or without shortening the nose based on your preference. 

Will Removing a Hump Make the Nose Look Shorter Vertically?

+1

For your case, dorsal hump reduction will produce a major change for your nose.  The male nose dorsal profile needs to be kept straight from radix to tip and not scooped out.  An exam and other pictures will be necessary, but your nose will likely appear better in proportion to your face.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nasal length with Rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Hello 'John Terry', thanks for your question.  Typically reducing a prominent dorsal hump and using sutures to refine the nasal tip will make the nose less prominent in comparison to the rest of the face.  This balancing of facial proportions often gives the illusion of shortening of the nasal length (and width) and providing a nice, aesthetic harmony to the face.  One easy trick you can do to guesstimate your postoperative appearance after rhinoplasty surgery is to use a black marker on your photo and mark out the dorsal hump area to see how it looks after the hump is shaved down.  If you are seriously considering a rhinoplasty, I recommend that you have a consultation with your local board-certified plastic surgeon who can go through the options and address your concerns in more detail with you.  Hope that helps! 

-Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon