Removing Filler to Reduce Lip Projection?

I want to remove my lip filler and reduce the projection, any ideas? I've had lip reduction; did a little for the shape, not the fullness.

Removing silicone from the lips

+2

If you have silicone lip injections, a surgical procedure can significantly reduce the silicone  and improve overall lip appearance. Surgery90210

+1

Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero could be removed from the lips by injecting hyaluronidase, this will dissolve the product. However, if you had a silicone based filler, it would need to be surgically removed

Options to Removing Filler from the Lips

+1

Without knowing how many days post-treatment you are and which product (filler) was used, we are unable to offer recommendations.  As our colleague mentioned, controlling the residual swelling and allowing more time to pass, may offer you a different perspective with your final outcomes.  In any event, discuss your concerns/options with the practitioner that did your treatment.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Removing filler from lip augmentation

+1

MarissaV,

Need to reduce lip projection after injection? First, give it time to allow swelling to resolve.

Lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid injectable fillers such has Restylane or Juvederm is common today. Fewer cosmetic specialists are using collagen for lip enhancement. The lip naturally swells & bruises from the injection. Most of the swelling, which contributes to the increased projection and fullness, goes down within a day or so, but sometimes longer.

Lip exercises and ice packs help reduce the swelling. After several days, if you are still unhappy with the lip size, you have 2 options after hyaluronic acid injection. Either wait it out, as your body naturally absorbs and breaks down the injectable filler over a few months. Another option to consider is using hyaluronidase, a material which accelerates the breakdown of hyaluronic acid. The last option is to have your plastic surgeon make a very small skin incision and squeeze out hyaluronic acid.

Fat injections into the lip may be modified with steroid injections. Direct steroids reduce the size of fat deposits. Although the plastic surgeon must be careful, as steroid injections may have side effects and complicaitons.

What did you have injected into the lips?

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon