Removing Dental Implants - What Type Dentist is Required?

I would like to have my 6 dental implants removed immediately. Which type dentist is best?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Removal of a failed implant

+1

A surgically trained dentist such as an oral surgeon or a periodontist WITH experience is most appropriate. Atraumatic removal of the implant and site preservation is the key to success. Older techniques involve 'cutting' the bone around the implant using trough burs. While this is effective, it does require removal of a 1 mm surrounding bone. A more current technique is use of a special implant removal devices that effectively removes the implant while preserving the bone. This is a special device / kit that not all dentists have. We have used this technique very effectively in our office.

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Removal of 6 Dental Implants Should Be Done by a Qualified Implantologist

+1

I am very sorry to hear that you want 6 implants removed.  This sounds tragic.  Why would you want all 6 removed?  Removal of implants should be done by a qualified implantologist.  Though removing the implant can be difficult enough, maintaining the bone will be really difficult.  What do you and your dentist have planned once the implants are removed?  What type of restoration will be made in the interim healing phase.  Is this your decison because you are unhappy.  We need more details.  Good luck to you.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Removing dental implants?

+1

Most dentist trained in surgery should be able to do this... Things to think about is what will you wear or function with after, why do this, understand unless alot of infection you would be better off keeping them good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Implant removal

+1

I would recommend a Periodontist since they receive extensive training in this field. Oral surgeons would also be a good choice but in my opinion Periodontists have better knowledge and experience when it comes to implants.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Removing dental implants.

+1

The question is not so much who but rather why?   An integrated dental implant can be removed by unscrewing it usually and an experienced implantologist can do that.  Healed implants are rarely removed unless the implant healed in the wrong position.   If an implant is ailing then removal is often straight forward.  

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Experience counts

+1

It lly doesn't matter who, as much as "wo is willing.". Only a skilled experienced dentist would even try.   Generally speaking, an oral surgeon or periodontist is likely the choice.

Web reference: http://www.drtimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Oral Surgeon

+1

it best to consult an oral surgeon to get the implants removed. the implants are usually removed with the help of trephines which remove the implant along with some bone around them so as to prevent any fractures or other complications.

India Cosmetic Dentist