Is It Okay to Just Removed the Infected Nasal Implant and Clean the Area & Leave the Fibrous Tissue?

I had rhino almost 7 yrs ago, got pregnant and during my 6 months of pregnancy, my nose started to swell then after few weeks, a pimple like thing developed pn the bridge, between the bottom of my eyes, after few weeks it poped and puss was coming out, now its almost 7 months. I will have the implant removed in 6days from today. I have a silastic implant, can they just removed and clean without taking the fibrous tissue out??? The pimple is with a bit of hole inside..... Pls advise.. Thanks

Removing Infected Nasal Implant

+1

Assuming the implant is silicone, there is not a lot of fibrous tissue present. It will not be necessary to remove the fibrous tissue because a lot of it will resolve after removal of the implant.

Infected Implant Removal

+1

This is somewhat of a judgement call.  Any obvious encapsulating tissue should be removed if feasible.  However, this will depend on the viability of the skin and the area surrounding the pimple area.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Implant infection and removal

+1

It is always important with an infected implant to remove the implant and allow the tissue to heal before attempting to augment the area where the implant had been.  The amount of fibrosis that develops after removal of the implant is most often inadequate to fill the defect.  You do not want to wait too long after the removal of the implant because the soft tissue envelope of the nose will shrink and it will become more difficult to gain the  degree of augmentation that was present before implant removal.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon