Removed my Own Sutures After Breast Augmentation

Hi, i removed my own sutures after breast augmentation. ps said i had dissolvables but there were 3 he had to remove externally. i removed them but the sides seemed to be stuck. i think they were joined to to inner dissolvable ones. it was painfull and i gave up pulling just then they receeded back into my skin. my ps is away please tell me they will dissolve.

"I removed my own sutures after breast augmentation"

+2

Removing your own sutures falls into the category of 'how to drive your surgeon crazy.'

Surgeons are very particular about how they do things. Surgeons work out techniques based on long experience with what works and what doesn't.

If your surgeon is away his or her office should be able to have you seen by a colleague who can help you out.

All the best!

Web reference: http://www.vancouvercosmeticsurgery.ca

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Removing Your Own Sutures After Surgery

+2

Most surgeons do each and every part of an operation for a purpose.  Including the placement of specific sutures in specific locations. Thus, taking it upon yourself to remove them without direct instructions from your physician is unwise. Some sutures are placed with a purpose and meant to stay longer and some meant to dissolve quickly. Permanent sutures that pull back into the skin can create a "stitch abscess" and actually act as a source of infection causing many other issues.

Communicate with your physician and if they are unreachable, most doctors will have a colleague you can reach even after hours.

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Removing own sutures

+2

Obviously it is not a good idea to remove your own sutures.

It is better to visit your doctor or the doctor covering for him if he is away.

The concern is that if the sutures are improperly or incompletely removed, scarring may result.  Also are there any other aspects to your follow-up care that need to be addressed?

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/index.php

Removed my own sutures after breast augmentation.

+1

First of all you went through real surgery with real risks.  You are going through an active healing process that will take months to complete.  Plastic surgeons are famous for going bonkers when someone, (even the well intentioned medical student), changes a dressing improperly or removes the wrong stitch.  Most plastic surgeons put specific sutures there for a reason.  In a breast augmentation, most usually close the tissue in layers to keep the tissue together and to take tension off the wound.  Deep layers are usually absorbable and the skin sutures non absorbable that have to be taken out.  Sometimes sutures from the inside will spit out through the wound.  If this is the case you may have a little opening.  This is usually OK, and will heal,  but should be seen by your plastic surgeon or whoever is covering for him.  I tell my patients... No kitchen surgery, come in and we will take a look...

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com

Please tell me they will dissolve

+1

I am not sure why you would take your own sutures out, not having been instructed by your surgeon to do so.  By the sound of it, they were not dissolvable sutures, which is why he told you he would have to remove them.  Now you would like someone to tell you that they will dissolve. Sounds like wishful thinking.  Should you ever have surgery again, I would suggest that you follow your surgeon's instructions, that is, if you care about obtaining the best results and not causing yourself harm. As for now, I would suggest contacting your surgeon and telling him what is going on.

Breast Augmentation Post-Operative

+1

It is very important that you follow your board certified plastic surgeon's instructions before and after your surgical procedure. You should immediately contact your plastic surgeon's office and update them.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

This is not a DIY thing

+1

Don't remove your own sutures unless specifically instructed to do so. I never let my patients do this, as they are not always ready to be removed when you think, or they may be dissolving. 

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Suture removal

+1

I would not recommend that you remove sutures on your own. You may cause an infection.  So what to do now?  You should speak to his office and see a staff member in his office or be referred to a covering doctor.

Removing your own sutures after breast implants

+1

A dissolving suture which has retracted under the skin should continue to melt away, but removing sutures yourself is generally a bad idea. Even your primary doctor should be able to take a look for you in a pinch. Better to keep the area clean and covered if necessary until your surgeon gets back.

peterjohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Removing you own Sutures

+1

It is a very bad idea to remove your own sutures - especially without the guidance of your plastic surgeon.  It is very rare if not unheard of to have to remove your own sutures.  Without knowing what type of sutures were used, it is impossible for us to tell you what to expect or give you any recommendation on what to do now.  I would suggest seeing your plastic surgeon since they will know what type of sutures were used.  If they are dissolvable, then if they retracted, it will not be a problem.  However, if they are not dissolvable, then they may need to be removed.

Good Luck

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com